New camper - Sag issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX_Trails

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the site but I am loving it! I just got back from taking my family camping in our 2017 Expy EL Limited. I'm towing about a 6,000 pound trailer and having zero problems with that part so far - haven't really had to deal with any hills yet. My issue is the sag I'm experiencing. The hitch weight on camper is 625 pounds and the tongue weight on the expy is 650. I know I'm cutting it close there but I'm pretty far under on my tow weight. I've been looking at solution like sumo springs and air bags but though I'd ask here to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they've done about it. I am not digging the rear squat at all! BTW, I am using a WDH Husky Centerline. Thanks!!

20190222_170133.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an rv shop set up that WDH. Load bars should be near parallel to ground from what I've been told. Also, is there a lot of gear inside Expy? Anything behind rear axle is considered "tongue weight"

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TX - Nice camper you have there. I tow a similar one - 30' APEX and about 6500lbs loaded. I use an Equalizer WDH and have a regular wheelbase Expy. I only drop about an inch when fully loaded. I would double check the setup on your WDH and make sure you are following the mfgr's hook-up procedures. It doesn't look like the WDH is transferring any weight to the front of the truck. I am assuming you are not putting a ton of stuff in the back of the Expy, right?

Nice dry campsite you got there!! ;)

OP
OP
T

TX_Trails

Reaction score
Hi there! Thanks so much for the response. I purchased the trailer used (I think they took it out on two short trips) and it came with the WDH. I didn't make any mods other than plugging it into my truck. There's nothing much that we've put into the trailer - especially near the front. All I could think of would be a few blankets. I did have some gear in the back and I guess that could have accounted for some of it so maybe I'll watch that next time and see if it changes anything. Thanks for the tip to get it redone at an RV shop if you think it will help! Also, yeah - first setup was in the rain but the next two days were beautiful which is what I was counting on.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need to set the wdh up correctly, that nose high setting is dangerous as it takes control weight off the the steer tires.
Ideally you should be level.
search you tube, thousands of viideo to show correct set ups.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'm betting your trailer weighs well over what you think. What's the GVWR of the trailer? -- should be on the outside data plate. The UWV (unloaded weight) is mythical. Ignore it, it didn't exist once the trailer left the factory. Salesmen will lie and tell you this is what the trailer weighs and that your Expedition can pull it.

Just looking at the photo my guess is the trailer is closer to 7000 or 8000 pounds than 6000. Where is the 6000 pound number coming from? Where does the 625 pound tougue weight come from? Did you measure these?

6000 pound camper needs 10% to 15% of total weight on the ball and my trailers tow better toward the 15% range. That's a range between 600 and 900 pounds IF your trailer weighs 6000 pounds which I'm betting it doesn't.

BTW the maximum towing capacity of your Expedition is computed with the truck completely empty other than a 150 pound driver. Every pound you weigh over 150 and the weight of all cargo cuts that capacity.

-- Chuck

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While adjusting the hitch so the camper is level is good the front of the hitch must also be adjusted to allow the TV to ride level. That is the whole purpose of the hitch. When either side rides off level it can be corrected in the hitch adjustment.

OP
OP
T

TX_Trails

Reaction score
Chuck, the camper is a 2018 Keystone Passport 2920bh. Dry weight is 5,385 pounds and we haven't put much in it honestly as it was our first trip Also, I had winterized it a couple months back so there should not have been any liquid in the trailer anywhere. There were some camping chairs, fishing poles, and a bag with hammocks in the back of the expedition. I was the only person in the vehicle but wasn't in the vehicle when I took the photo. The hitch weight per the trailer specs is 625 pounds. I was estimating 6000 pounds but could bump that to 6500 I guess Regardless, I don't think I'm overdoing what the truck can handle and just want to get the squat resolved. I'm going to take it to an RV place and let them redo the hitch setup professionally. I have not modified it from the previous owner.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'd personally assume the trailer weighs 7200 pounds, the GVWR. You can easily add well over 500 pounds to the trailer and it'll still not have your stuff in it. Water, LP, dual batteries, will do that in a heartbeat. Remaining below the GVWR is very often a challenge, especially with a family, hence I'd set up for max weight.

Trim lines above the XLT have HD tow standard. Otherwise it's an option. With HD Tow it's no sweat. The engine has plenty of pull.

RV places are the worst place to adjust a WDH in my limited experience. Put aside a Saturday morning on a level site and go thru it step by step as loaded. Fill the fresh water tank, add appropriate weights to at least simulate full propane tanks and two batteries. Waste tanks are your call. If they're behind the axle towing with much of anything in them can unload the tongue Basically hand tools for my Equalizer (tm) WDH. I know the tongue weight has pushed 800 pounds a couple of times. I have a tongue weight scale I use when loading UHauls, etc. Plenty of videos on how to make a tongue scale using your bathroom scale a board a couple of blocks and a refresher on how levers work.

-- Chuck

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe the data card on the side of camper accounts for propane and batteries. Obviously pending any mods by previous owner (bigger tanks, more batteries etc.)

Also, if possible, don't travel with a full fresh water tank. It's unnecessary weight. Fill up when you get to campground if there is no fresh water on your assigned site