New Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting a new engine in under a year. And starting to do some research. I'm trying to get the best gas mileage I can.

I know for a fact at the bare minimum, I want to put in the 4.6L v8.

I was talking to my dad, and he's saying I can probably put in a v6 with around the same horsepower.

I don't really use my truck for towing of 4x4 and it's mostly a street vehicle. Specially with the upgrades that I'm going to be putting on it.

Any tips or suggestions? I have a Ford hookup if that matters at all.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A V6 may have the same HP, but torque will be significantly lower and make the Expy feel real slow. And if you do so, a new tranny is probably in order too. If you are worried about the mileage, definately drop the transfer case as that eats up some mileage. A diesel will probably get you the best mileage since a V6 will work a lot harder to get up to speed, (unless driven mostly on the highway) however the cost of diesel may offset the gains. But, the cost of a new engine will buy a bunch of gas too!!!

OP
OP
B

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm getting a new engine cause I plan on putting a lot of money into this truck, and I want it to last me for another 5 years or so.

And I don't need to go fast, or floor it off the get go. And it's driven 85% of the time on the freeway. I don't use it for towing or any of the heavy torque stuff.

I planned on getting a new transmission and transfer case too. I love my Expo to death and I want it to last me as long as humanly possible. Eventually, I just want it to be a weekend driver and have a more gas friendly for the work and school driving.

I also plan on staying away from diesel. It's just too much right now. My Expo is just for crusin the strip. If I wanted to drive fast, I'd get a car. I'm kindof a showoff so driving fast doesn't help me showing off my car ;].

It's going to be a graduation present from my folks, so I might as well.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd get some sort of V8 just for the sound. You can't show off your truck, and not have it rumble. :p

SPreston2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly if I was you, I would just have your current engine rebuilt. Its just like having a new engine dropped, but at a fraction of the cost. I would definetely stay away from a V6, considering the weight of the truck. But if you must get a new engine, and you want the best gas mileage, go with the 4.6L and drop alot parts that you dont plan on using to reduce the overall weight of your expy. Plus if you downgrade your motor, when you do decide to sell it you will seriously reduce the value of your beast. No sense in dropping alot of cash in your ride and dropping a tiny V6 under the hood.

Last edited:

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, no offense...but this just seems retarded to me...

If you are doing this to make your vehicle last as long as possible (which is what all of us want), why don't you just replace parts as needed and do reg. maintenance or do a complete-rebuild if it has very high mileage? Then, once your original engine is completely dead (after another 300-400K miles), you can replace it. If you want it to last as long as possible, you might as well get the most out of your current engine and then, when there is no other option, you could replace it.

And if you are doing this for better mileage, the costs are going to completely offset the savings. It's going to take a very, very long time to save the thousands of dollars you are going to spend on the new engine, trans, etc. I don't know maybe I'm wrong, but do the math out using your typical mileage and expected change in mpg...

Just my opinion--just trying to save you spending money pointlessly...

OP
OP
B

bloodzero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys should totally read my post all the way through. Haha.

My parents are PAYING for it. They're picking up the entire tab. So I'm not taking one cent out of my own pocket. Cost isn't what I'm looking for. I already know it's going to cost me anywhere between 3000-5000 bucks. My mom said that's alright. My parents pretty much take care of any repair bill I have. Yes, I'm spoiled. But oh well.

And SPreston, that's what my original plan was. Just downgrading the engine size to 4.6L. But my dad was trying to show me all the options.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I really don't know what to say to all of that...but this is an Expedition forum, not a parenting or family values forum...

But anyway....

I caught that they were paying for it the first time I read your post...I guess I was trying to save your parents money then...anyway, I still stick with my original advice...Take it or leave it...Enjoy your parents' money

4x4Dude

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i were you man i'd have your parents give you the money they would spend on a new engine and set aside like 1500 of it. then take the rest and make some upgrades. Have that money set aside if something goes wrong, but it just seems like a waste of money to replace an engine that isnt dead yet. I understand your parents are paying for it, but you could do so much more with the money and a nice little chuck set aside to do a rebuild if needed. Just my two cents