New Expy owner here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Guys, I have some strut assembly questions. Just installed Moog front strut assemblies (part number st8598) in my 2011 Expy XLT. It looks like the lifted the front about 2 inches. Will these settle? I don't think I can live with the "lifted" front end. These would be great for the 4x4 guys though.

I didn't replace the rears because their not bouncy like the front was.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2 inches is a lot. Doubt they will settle much.... the spring decides the ride height, not the shock.

Edit: are you sure the vehicle has not been lowered, possibly before you took possession of it?

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
I may have over stated that. Lol
I looked at it on flat ground... It's not as bad as it looked in my sloped driveway. It also may have settled a little since I installed them yesterday. I just really don't want that lifted look.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I may have over stated that. Lol
I looked at it on flat ground... It's not as bad as it looked in my sloped driveway. It also may have settled a little since I installed them yesterday. I just really don't want that lifted look.
Oh come on lift it! Lol it’s easy

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Oh come on lift it! Lol it’s easy
Lol... Mine is a travel vehicle not an off roader.
I missed an opportunity when my parents '99 Expy 4x4 engine locked up. I could've bought it for a grand and put a junkyard motor in it. That would've made a nice 4x4.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Do you have rear load leveling suspension? The models with rear air load leveling suspension sit lower than a standard expedition with springs in the rear. I'm honestly not even sure it was offered in 11 but if it was that could be your issue.

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
I am a new Expedition owner and I I'm trying to figure out some other stuff...

This one was smoked in and smelled pretty bad. We cleaned all the plastic and sprayed the carpets with fabric softener. None of that worked. Last night a friend put an ionizer in it for a couple hours and I think the smell is gone.

I can't find the original window sticker online. I want to know the options it came with. Any ideas on we're to find it?

I already put the Moog front struts assemblies on.

I ordered the Brake Motive drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads for front and rear from eBay (http://r.ebay.com/XphbqD).
We drive through the mountains fully loaded every summer so I need good brakes

I'm still looking for oem carpeted tan floor mats. Amazon only has the greystone color.

I should've made the name of the thread "new Expy owner here".
Edit... Changed it ha!

OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Do you have rear load leveling suspension? The models with rear air load leveling suspension sit lower than a standard expedition with springs in the rear. I'm honestly not even sure it was offered in 11 but if it was that could be your issue.
I don't know. That's the air suspension right? I haven't looked. I haven't heard and air compressor though.
I'm trying to find the window sticker or some kind of option sheet....

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I don't know. That's the air suspension right? I haven't looked. I haven't heard and air compressor though.
I'm trying to find the window sticker or some kind of option sheet....
Take a look under the rear. Either you'll see coil springs or a giant beer can looking thing

On my 07 I don't even hear the compressor run. Also the springs will settle some but I don't see them settling 2"

Last edited:
OP
OP
JonFrancis76

JonFrancis76

Reaction score
Take a look under the rear. Either you'll see coil springs or a giant beer can looking thing

On my 07 I don't even hear the compressor run. Also the springs will settle some but I don't see them settling 2"
I did the brakes today.... No air ride.
I did get all 4 drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads installed
I also discovered that a 22mm deep socket works best for the lug nuts. 22 is a little loose and I had to tap the 21mm on.
I had a chance to wash all the dealer gunk off too. Looks much better with some wash n wax and tire shine.