New radio install on a 2010 Expy SSV - help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kadsura

Reaction score
Trying to install an aftermarket head unit myself for the first time and couldn't get it to work.

2010 Ford expedition SSV. OEM radio works fine.

Disconnected old radio. Connected a 24pin wire harness in:

- Ignition
- Battery
- Ground
- All speaker wires (8 of them)
- Power antenna

Turned on car and screen on the new radio wouldn't come on. I do notice there is a 16 pin connector I'm not using. There are 2 wires on the 16 pin connector and I don't know what they are.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, I'm noticing I'm not using pin 15 on the 24pin connector which is a light grey/violet wire. Also do not know what that is. I tried searching the 16 pin connector diagram for this particular model/year, with no luck.

When I plug back the old OEM radio to test, it does work. (Does seem to require the 16pin for CD player to work)

bobgriner

Reaction score
@Kadsura...did you find a solution? I am installing an aftermarket Kenwood and have the same 12v switched issue. I cannot locate it. I used my volt meter on all wires on the 24 and 16 pin connectors and found no other wires to have power except the Pink/Red Stripe on the 24-pin?

Last edited:

bobgriner

Reaction score
Disconnected old radio. Connected a 24pin wire harness in:

- Ignition
- Battery
- Ground
- All speaker wires (8 of them)
- Power antenna

>>I did "not" locate the "ignition" on the 24-pin, nor could I find it on the 16-pin. :/

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I just installed a head unit in my 2007 and had this exact problem. The basic Metra 70-5520 has the appropriate black, yellow and red wires but the factory Ford harness has no switched power. I wasted a few hours on it last weekend. I found an unused flat white connector under the dash very near the steering wheel shaft and used my meter to find switched power there and ran a wire to the red in the head unit harness.

Works great, however it isn't in the delayed accessory circuit so the head unit goes off when the key is turned off. I read some discussion on wiring into the delayed accessory in the fuse box.

I believe there is a Metra harness that does all that for $50-$60

JimR_TN

Reaction score
Here is a very old thread on the subject. See post #5. I'm a bit surprised this isn't discussed more as it makes it a real PITA to get switched power.

bobgriner

Reaction score
2007 and had this exact problem. The basic Metra 70-5520 has the appropriate black, yellow and red wires but the factory Ford harness has no switched power. I wasted a few hours on it last weekend. I found an unused flat white connector under the dash very near the steering wheel shaft and used my meter to find switched power there and ran a wire to the red in the head unit harness.

Works great, however it isn't in the d

bobgriner

Reaction score
@JimR_TN >> yeah, it's very unusual. I plugged the OEM radio into the 24-pin "only" and it would "not" power up. It only powered up when I plugged both the 24-pin "and" the 16-pin. Makes me think that both OEM stereo has some type of switching built into the radio?

JimR_TN

Reaction score
I ‘think’ the stock radio receives a signal from the car’s computer to turn on and off instead of using switched power. That signal may be the in second connector. I suspect the more expensive kits with CANBUS adapter use the computer signal to switch on 12V for aftermarket stereos.

bobgriner

Reaction score
@

JimR_TN, I agree with you on the stock radio having the "switcher." There are "no" 12v switched at all behind the stereo console area either. I had to chase one out on a connect down by the fuse panel. It was close and easy to run the wire.​

Reallyitsjp

Reaction score

Radio is CAN enabled and you will need appropriate harness. Found on Amazon.​

Metra XSVI-6522-NAV Non-Amplified Non-OnStar Harness to Retain Accessory Power,MULTI COLOR