New Tires - 2018 Platinum

Which tires should I go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rossue

Reaction score
Went to America's Tire(Discount Tire) and they told me it was too close. Funny thing was I had heard them do the same thing on a kid about to go to college. They even have a display showing when the nail/screw is too close. Two weeks later I had the same thing and they told me the same thing- couldn't fix. I told them to not remount the tire, just put the spare on. Took it to a "real" tire store- very busy place w/no B.S. They said no problem/no charge. 6K miles later across 7 states pulling a trailer and no problem. Trust your instincts and stay away from the "stick it in and break it off" stores!
U0xlwwVi5TJ-tsXzp-WwPCY3Vq-0CIV_GOrdj0Juw6HJA2zxmYvUkI_8YoBFbSLB98Ywh4ZsJqfQuuxupEsXCeB9VPj2VSGzTZqBXKSqBVdCNqIgOFHdUMRHp-bcwPQzgB6lQu_KYqOHKrfPPg8Hmg8UpG3RObL9v7XyzFoslVMurg2GUK5ODn9u9wR-VK_ph2BIup5zmePp_EhZz5S0kFAGjT2d6u75n-oOzfKg_6mcSdI8Ws0Ijq6Rduz35etgLoKVRgLPDk6SGFR0BvsUHiDN7HjLSN4zsOUeVt4KtbKW1R5_Lu2M_S1nCblNMUB1RXiOF1461Pau2m78EdKWlCUKAucyrcFyBllfuawL5uwTFfJpvF9hVOdmhkF7KIEXnszG7AwRXzXxAWG3LVamJHkNZLaisMetYO_PN6PPzEqaLNJAacdv10NNKg9qTFyzBJK3MqgIf5sWzAcc2JaDA5ZgWWJ5hXTIaRP_BhJ_EhgKfOoaDgya9TRUn4JOnXCrKlWS9PTIOFf8U2YeGTsEGvGIxVcTpjTzUQaT6jJpl6RVgglIMdGtDVIJ-fZ_-1Lgtzcn0LnxvFMzLdxMuYgvnWe_BIHwAKUGc2vi4tYltkrtYdffOqWJUjx-NWlXskKAzuTUgYYRfzWcZ6HNELChBwszl72ZkFKxENY3Lg8rqEjf8kLGmw8GbexII0ejMCk=w1920-h934-no

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I just took it in today to my local Discount Tire (been a customer for years, bought a number of sets of tires from them in the past for other vehicles). They warned me about potentially not being able to fix it and saying they'd have to put the spare on if deemed unsafe and not remount the damaged tire, but they were able to repair the tire (with no charge). I'll definitely be avoiding the dealership as much as possible. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
The service manager finally got ahold of me (probably due to my bad review on Google and a BBB complaint) and reluctantly agreed to replace the tire. I just got back from the dealer and requested to keep the old tire (photos attached). I figured since Discount Tire deemed it safe to repair, I'd keep it in case I ever have another issue with these tires.

The other 3 tires have about 26,500 miles on them and decent tread left. I was thinking going forward I might rotate the new tire back and forth in the rear and rotate the other 3 around that to try and wear the brand new one in more. Do you all think that's a good idea or should I rotate all four normally?

20201118_114255.jpg

20201118_114314.jpg

20201118_114321.jpg

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Went to America's Tire(Discount Tire) and they told me it was too close. Funny thing was I had heard them do the same thing on a kid about to go to college. They even have a display showing when the nail/screw is too close. Two weeks later I had the same thing and they told me the same thing- couldn't fix. I told them to not remount the tire, just put the spare on. Took it to a "real" tire store- very busy place w/no B.S. They said no problem/no charge. 6K miles later across 7 states pulling a trailer and no problem. Trust your instincts and stay away from the "stick it in and break it off" stores!
U0xlwwVi5TJ-tsXzp-WwPCY3Vq-0CIV_GOrdj0Juw6HJA2zxmYvUkI_8YoBFbSLB98Ywh4ZsJqfQuuxupEsXCeB9VPj2VSGzTZqBXKSqBVdCNqIgOFHdUMRHp-bcwPQzgB6lQu_KYqOHKrfPPg8Hmg8UpG3RObL9v7XyzFoslVMurg2GUK5ODn9u9wR-VK_ph2BIup5zmePp_EhZz5S0kFAGjT2d6u75n-oOzfKg_6mcSdI8Ws0Ijq6Rduz35etgLoKVRgLPDk6SGFR0BvsUHiDN7HjLSN4zsOUeVt4KtbKW1R5_Lu2M_S1nCblNMUB1RXiOF1461Pau2m78EdKWlCUKAucyrcFyBllfuawL5uwTFfJpvF9hVOdmhkF7KIEXnszG7AwRXzXxAWG3LVamJHkNZLaisMetYO_PN6PPzEqaLNJAacdv10NNKg9qTFyzBJK3MqgIf5sWzAcc2JaDA5ZgWWJ5hXTIaRP_BhJ_EhgKfOoaDgya9TRUn4JOnXCrKlWS9PTIOFf8U2YeGTsEGvGIxVcTpjTzUQaT6jJpl6RVgglIMdGtDVIJ-fZ_-1Lgtzcn0LnxvFMzLdxMuYgvnWe_BIHwAKUGc2vi4tYltkrtYdffOqWJUjx-NWlXskKAzuTUgYYRfzWcZ6HNELChBwszl72ZkFKxENY3Lg8rqEjf8kLGmw8GbexII0ejMCk=w1920-h934-no

It looks like my puncture was in almost the same location as yours (probably just next to/inside of where yours was). I'm getting the sense that there's a big gray area as to what's repairable or not.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like my puncture was in almost the same location as yours (probably just next to/inside of where yours was). I'm getting the sense that there's a big gray area as to what's repairable or not.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/...ture must be 1,the internal steel belt begins.

Issue is that the belt widths vs. tread contact patch varies per individual tire, so without x-ray or physically cutting the tire, will you know where the belt package ends. You definitely don't want to miss to be within the belt package when repairing...a portion of the tire without adequate belt package will bubble like a sidewall blister and has risk of failure.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Michelin looks like the factory smooth tires. They won't move in any snow especially once they were a little.