22 inch tires for 2020 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Skip Pirelli they wear fast.

New tire as of September 2021 BFG Trail Terrain. Its a highway A/T hybrid 3 peak rated tire. Hands down the best tire I have had on my SUVs so far.

BFG and Michelin are out of the same design shop. Michelin tend to be more popular in the super cold states with their softer compounds and BFG tend to be more popular in hotter states with their tougher rubber compounds.

Those are the two best brands. Priced accordingly also. The rest have pretty big compromises.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I like my Firestone at/2 destination tires. Came with it when I bought it used out of Texas surprisingly. I have been on some ice here in CO with them but probably not exactly what you have. I find great traction most of the time. I also tow our 7k trailer and have zero complaints. I only wish I had more cushion or sidewall as I think the ride can be better on bumpy terrain.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cross Climates will give the best performance in snow. Living in a southern warm climate, I live my Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus III.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will add that I had Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S II’s which lasted 45,000 miles, elected to replace at 4/32” tread remaining.
My 2008 Gen III Expy came with Pirelli Scorpions, which lasted about 34,000 miles. Pirelli has resigned these tires at least two or more times since 2008.
With that said the latest Michelin Defender likely would last the longest but is considerably more expensive.
Also the Pirelli adds some rim protection. image.jpg

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m running Duratrac 315’s on a Gen 1. I stick to Goodyear, for 22 years.

GT350driver

Reaction score
I live in the Northeast Ohio snowbelt East of Cleveland and currently have about 1500 miles on the Cross Climate (22")
We had a lot of rain recently...turned into ice, then snow so I got to experience all conditions in about 2 weeks time.
On dry road conditions these tires are quiet and the ride is an improvement over the BFG Advantage Sport LT.
I'll just say that I'm sold on them and when my wifes Nautilus needs new rubber we'll go with the Michelins Cross Climate.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the Northeast Ohio snowbelt East of Cleveland and currently have about 1500 miles on the Cross Climate (22")
We had a lot of rain recently...turned into ice, then snow so I got to experience all conditions in about 2 weeks time.
On dry road conditions these tires are quiet and the ride is an improvement over the BFG Advantage Sport LT.
I'll just say that I'm sold on them and when my wifes Nautilus needs new rubber we'll go with the Michelins Cross Climate.
I ran the Advantage sports on
My Subaru and they are on my Sequoia that my dad has now. Couple of things. They are harder rubber compound than the Michelin alternative so cold climates they aren’t as good. Also they lack siping for really good ice and snow traction. They are only just OK for occasional snow and Ice use. They are great in our region in CA hot summer road temps and very occasional rare snow trips. I do like them they were great on my Subaru Outback that burned through other softer tires fast on heavily loaded hot summer trips. They have been great on the Sequoia.

I have the newest BFG alternative to the Advantage Sports that were specifically designed to address the ice and snow issue. The Trail Terrain is an all new tire as of September 2021 it has a 3peak now rating basically the snow and ice alternative to the Advantage Sports.

If your in cold country and don’t do hot long summer trips Michelins are typically a softer compound rubber and come out of the same manufacturer and generally give better performance and traction in the cold climates

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like my Firestone at/2 destination tires. Came with it when I bought it used out of Texas surprisingly. I have been on some ice here in CO with them but probably not exactly what you have. I find great traction most of the time. I also tow our 7k trailer and have zero complaints. I only wish I had more cushion or sidewall as I think the ride can be better on bumpy terrain.
Nice, you have them on these '22s. Can you post a photo of these mounted on your wheels?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you considered running a dedicated set of snow tires on smaller wheels? We've had good success with Nokian Hakkapelliitta R5 SUV tires on 20" wheels for the winter months. More sidewall helps with avoiding pothole damage to wheels as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani