New to Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimi92

Reaction score
Hello all. I apologize in advance for registering as an owner even though I have not made the purchase yet. I didn't know how to log in as a guest. I have not owned a Ford vehicle in many years. I have found a 2007 Expedition XLT with 4WD, cloth seats and 101K miles. It is a 2 owner vehicle with a clean carfax and looks super clean and drives very nice. The non-Ford dealership is asking just below $10k for it and I was wondering to start with if that is a good price for a vehicle of that year and mileage and trim, as it seems to be fair to me. Also, what potential problems should I be looking closely for with this model year and mileage? I am aware of the corrosion problem with the paint on the hood and tailgate. Is this rust/corrosion issue widespread or is it not common? Also does it apply to the entire vehicle? I have also read user reviews on other sites about this 5.4 V8 blowing out or breaking spark plugs and also issues with hard shifting in lower gears or low speeds. I really like the Expedition and am seriously considering buying it and would love to buy a Ford product but don't want to find out later if the vehicle has issues that I could have found them before purchase if I knew what to look for. I appreciate any feedback provided and thanks in advance.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. I have only heard of the paint issues on the hood and tailgate. The 2nd and 3rd gens don't spit out the plugs, they keep them instead. Find out if the plugs have been changed and if they haven't or your not sure, get them done. I have never heard of the shifting issue. The price doesn't sound to bad either.

MoHawk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the family. Just like with a regular family, some people are good, and some are bad. Some will give good advice, others think they know what they are talking about and give bad advice. Some are nice, some are mean. All in all, it is a good family and we'd love for you to be a part of it.

OP
OP
J

Jimi92

Reaction score
HELP!!!Want to be proud expy owner!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I hesitated on that '07 and someone else bought it. There is another '07 at a Hyundai dealership with about the same mileage but with leather seats and power third row for a little more money. Looks to be in decent shape, but, the issue of paint bubbling and corrosion has been a concern for me as my mechanic has recommended that I avoid Ford vehicles altogether because of this. The possibility of this becoming an issue on a vehicle I purchase worries me and has really bummed me out because of all the SUV's that I have considered, the 3rd gen expedition is really the perfect choice for me and my family. The combination of standard safety features, crash test rating, room, folding 3rd row, handling and reliability is something that I can't find in another SUV. Is there any way to tell by individual vehicle whether the corrosion/paint bubbling/peeling paint will become a big issue in the months or years to come? Is it also an issue with the undercarriage and frame? I really want to be on this forum as a proud expy owner, but, the amount of lawsuits against Ford and the number of affected vehicles worries me. Thanks again.

wadesdad

Reaction score
The paint problem is not significant. A good shop can fix it when and if it becomes a problem. They just need to know how to work with aluminum. They can't use steel in sanding materials, self-etching primer then paint. Some high end cars are almost all aluminum now, so it is really not a big deal. I've had several Navigators and an Expedition. They've been reliable, exceptionally comfortable safe vehicles. You'll love the one with more "toys" and features. Go for it! You only live once! Need convincing? Look for Neon vs. Navigator on YouTube.