New to the expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

white7wolf

Reaction score
okay so I've got the cluster torn apart into a million pieces... what solder joints do I need to fix? are the bad joints the one's that have sort of fallen over? I don't see any that are 'black' necessarily...

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine broke off as I was backing it into the driveway fresh off the highway. Is there any way to replace the spare tire holding system once it breaks?

OP
OP
W

white7wolf

Reaction score
Bang,

It depends on what broke... I have not looked under these expy's at the spare tire mounting system but if it's like my dodge was there's a steel cable that "winds up" to winch the tire up. If that cable or the mount broke you should be able to get a replacement from a junkyard.

In other news, to update anybody who is interested I got most of my issues figured out. The cluster problem ended up actually being that the printed circuit wasn't seated all the way, I think somebody previously messed with it and didn't put it back together right. Unfortunately I took all my needles apart without indexing them so while everything is now working my speedo reads 10 mph over. I'm just gonna buy a used one from a salvage yard here for 65 and stick it in I think that should do it.

As for the 4x4, we determined the T-case is working so most likely culprit is the vacuum actuator. However, does anybody know if there's a vacuum canister on these trucks that holds auxilary vacuum for operation of things like blower doors and what not? I think the system most likely has one I just can't find the dumb thing.

Lastly, I'm decently sure one of my vacuum lines has a leak in it and that is why the engine is running lean and throwing codes.

If somebody could answer my vacuum question that'd be great. Thanks everybody!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I believe the vacuum canister is hidden behind the battery.

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine broke off as I was backing it into the driveway fresh off the highway. Is there any way to replace the spare tire holding system once it breaks?

just a couple of bolts & the cotter pin for the drive shaft. Mine seized many years ago and was about 30 mins start-to-finish to replace.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bang,

It depends on what broke... I have not looked under these expy's at the spare tire mounting system but if it's like my dodge was there's a steel cable that "winds up" to winch the tire up. If that cable or the mount broke you should be able to get a replacement from a junkyard.

Duh didnt think of going to get it from the junk yard.
The little ball on the end of the cable that holds the peice that goes in the middle of the tire to lift it up is what broke off. The cable is still there just that very end peice broke off. I'm going to check into just getting the cable from the junk yard or the whole thing if I have too. Thanks a milli.

OP
OP
W

white7wolf

Reaction score
Ok so I think I found the vacuum leak. On the top of the passenger side valve cover back next to the firewall I believe is where the PCV valve is? it seems to be warn right there and if I wiggle it I can hear the whistling change to different pitches. Would this cause the engine to not want to, or not have enough power to be able to really go over about 3k rpms? I found, for example, if I floor the throttle all the way to the floor it will not hook up and go it seems to just rev up to about 3,000 rpm but won't go over. It also will not seem to want to increase in speed. However, if I keep my foot out of the gas and always drive below that RPM threshold I get around fine with no issues. It hasn't been that big of an issue, but it's annoying when hitting a small hill on the interstate and cruise control kicks off because the truck can't accelerate the way it wants too. It's really weird, any body think it could be anything else other then the vacuum leak and it running lean? I have a really dirty and unoiled K&N filter too... hoping to fix that this weekend :)

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wolf

Sounds like you need to replace the infamous PCV hose & boots. It runs from the PCV to the back of the intake where you were rubbing aorund. Trace that hose from the PCV valve to the back of the intake. Replace that assembly and your problems should be over.