New to the family!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMWirth01

Reaction score
Greetings all! I'm Mike, and I am new to the Expedition family. I am a life long Ford guy, but new to owning an SUV. I had never had much use for one. My stable includes a '68 mustang, an '85 mustang, an '05 mustang, a '74 F250, and an '89 F150.

About a month ago, I mentioned to my father in law that I was buying an '02 Dodge caravan sport, so I could carry the whole family around to all our activities and vacations. He told me that he could get me a great deal on an '05 Expedition. So I took him up on it.

What I got was an '05 Expedition NBX. It was his command vehicle, he is the local fire chief. It has 101000mi on it and he said it needed an engine. I wasn't put off, and took it for a test drive. It purred like a kitten. So, I offered the city less than half what they were asking and drove it home.

About a month passed, when I decided to take the NBX on a short trip. Driving the vehicle about 65 miles on the hwy was a dream. It cruised just fine, passed with pep when I told it too, and was an all around great drive. When I got into the town I was gonna do some shopping in, I pulled up to a stop light and the thing died. However it started right back up. Ran good till the next stoplight, then died again. Started right back up, and we made it to the mall. After shopping, we jumped in and ran all the way back home without incident.

The next day I decided to do a full tune up. Changed the oil and filter, plugs and coils, coolant, air filter, and after some research, ended up changing the cam sensors and VCT solennoids.

Now for just over a $1100 I have an amazing vehicle. I had originally planned on selling it, but it has earned it's place in the stable!

I plan on doing some upgrades over the fall. I have access to a full on shop with every tool and amenity you can think of. I don't want to go too crazy with it as it will be a family vehicle, but there are some upgrades I'd like to do. Any suggestions anyone could give are much appreciated and thanks for letting me in the family!

20160720_180436.jpg

20160720_180408.jpg

20160720_180449.jpg

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Being its an 05, take a good look at the fuel pump drivers module. It is located on the drivers side frame rail near the spare tire. Check if for any corrosion as they are known to fail and it could get costly and leave you stranded.

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the Forum. Congrats on the new to you Expedition. Wish my 2003 only had 101K on it!

One quick question, you couldn't find a '65 Stang to go with the '85 & '05? :)
I say a '65 Fastback today while shopping at Costco.

OP
OP
GMWirth01

GMWirth01

Reaction score
Lol! That would have been great! Fortunately for me the '68 was a gift and has actually made the rounds in my family over the years. I am really happy to have the Expedition and think it will stay with me for years to come. The '02 caravan is for sale though! Lol!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site...get a new alt before it dies on u...programmer for tuning to give better mpg and gotts mod or intake along with anti sway bars...quiet exhaust too...

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
GMWirth01

GMWirth01

Reaction score
Thank you for the great suggestions. I plan on doing the Gotts mod this weekend, that should last me till I get a CAI. My exhaust is solid and quiet. Rust really isn't an issue where I live, southeastern colorado. (Think kansas/oklahoma.) Do you have any suggestions as to which programer would be the best?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mention the exhaust for increase mpg...like a Flowmaster 70 series

Mr. 10K

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here