No AC front or back. Fan is blowing lukewarm air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

49Unbeaten

Reaction score
Not sure when it started but just noticed it when we tried to run the AC for the first time this year. Fan blows but it's lukewarm air at best on both front and back vents.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting at honestly. Just don't have the money to have the dealership diagnosis it.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Open the hood with the engine running and the AC on. Find the AC compressor under the hood- should be down low on the passenger side.

The AC clutch hangs off the front of the compressor. If you can see it clearly, then it isn’t spinning (or engaged). If it’s a blur, then it’s engaged.

If it’s not engaging, then it’s probably low on freon. Why is it low on freon? Need to figure out why. On my 1997 Explorer, it leaks and I add a couple cans at the beginning of each warm season.

If it is engaging, then it’s tough. Could be a blend door. Could be a bad compressor. Could be……

Last year at about this time, I replaced my compressor, my condenser, expansion valves, and back flushed the evaporators. Wasn’t fun. But wasn’t super hard. And bonus: it’s still working now!

OP
OP

49Unbeaten

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I located the clutch and it was not engaged. I bought a can of freon and recharged it, but the clutch still won't engage. I checked the fuses I could see but I'm not sure how to check the black square ones. Nothing looked burnt or damaged on the contacts so I figured they're probably good.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s possible 1 can isn’t enough to get it to turn on.

But if it’s that low, then this is just a band aide.

OP
OP

49Unbeaten

Reaction score
When I connected the can onto the port, it read no pressure at all. I used probably only half the can and it's reading mid way into the green zone, assuming the gauge on the can can be trusted.
Given my recent luck and the issues we've had with this car, I'd be willing to bet this is the tip of the iceberg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1