No power loss over 19 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB985

Reaction score
Good afternoon, everyone.

I’ve been playing with a Dragy device for the last few days, and I made a few runs in my Expedition this morning. It’s a 2004 2WD Eddie Bauer with the 5.4L V8 and 4R75W transmission. Only 138,600 miles because it’s a secondary vehicle that’s only used for towing.

Ancient and slow compared to the modern ones, but she seems to run every bit as strong as when it was new. MotorWeek achieved a 0-60 time of 9.7 seconds for the 2003 Expedition, which is exactly what my 19-year-old dinosaur did this morning. I’ve heard arguments that engines lose power as they wear, bit I’ve seen enough to think that’s a myth. It’s slow because it always was, not because it’s wearing out.

Screenshot_20230613-104942_Original.pngScreenshot_20230613-104948_Original.pngScreenshot_20230613-105014_Original.pngScreenshot_20230613-105011_Original.png

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am hearing David Byrne singing, "slow as it ever was!". I will have to try that app with my 2001 4.6L 98K miles.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engines should not lose any significant horsepower and if they do you know something is wrong. They will be misfiring or exhibit other issues. It is a myth.

An engine with X compression should make X power. If that engine is running right it’s not losing that power. If the rings wear and it started chewing oil then yes it’s losing power. But not due to age.

Main “age” related losses are from worn plugs, dirty air filter/ fuel filter. All easily remedied. And when those losses are significant like I said…misfires. The operating parameters of an engine are pretty tight, they cannot run when things get too ugly.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Engines should not lose any significant horsepower and if they do you know something is wrong. They will be misfiring or exhibit other issues. It is a myth.

An engine with X compression should make X power. If that engine is running right it’s not losing that power. If the rings wear and it started chewing oil then yes it’s losing power. But not due to age.

Main “age” related losses are from worn plugs, dirty air filter/ fuel filter. All easily remedied. And when those losses are significant like I said…misfires. The operating parameters of an engine are pretty tight, they cannot run when things get too ugly.
Let's not forget a clogged Catalytic Converter.