Noise from front running gear!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2009 Expy Max Limited 4WD

Question 1: when things are working properly and the truck is in 2WD and I jacked up the front and spin a wheel should the axle spin at all or in the intention of the hub actuator to completely release the axle from spinning at all? If so is it normal that both actuators go at once?

Currently both wheels spin the axles when in 2WD.

Question 2: As I roll ahead from a stop I get a clunking noise a few seconds after I start rolling. Quite loud, but like clock work every single time I start rolling. Only happens while rolling at 15 MPH and as soon as speed increases it stops. I think even if I maintain that speed it stops. Any ideas?

Any thoughts on on either would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For question #1 if the truck is running in 2WD the actuators should not be engaged. The wheel should spin freely of the shaft. If the truck is off the vacuum isn’t present so they will be locked in. The vacuum system can be kind of a pain, I’ve basically replaced the whole system minus lines. (Solonoid, Check valve assy, Actuators).

OP
OP
Q

quicker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ah thats the part I was missing. truck is off so they are locked due to no vacuum.

I'll test again with truck running.

Still no idea what that noise is when rolling ahead