not starting when engine is hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi gang, here is a puzzle for you. My car runs fine (no check engine light). Starts fine in the cold. But if you drive it 10 or more miles, it will not re start once you have turned it off. After it cools down for about an hour, it starts right up. If you dont turn car off, it runs fine. All lights and electrical work when ther restart is failing.
Here are things I have already changed...... battery, spark plugs, starter, fuel pump relay.
I have been reading up on this problem, and there seem to be a bunch of people in different generation expeditions with this problem. There does not seem to be a universal fix. Some say fuel pump, some say IAC valve; power control modile; ignition switch; "pour water on cam position sensor"; fuel lines need to be insulated; fuel pressure regulator replaced; pip sensor.........

uggggg

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think it would not be a fuel problem because if you shut it off and then restart it soon enough for the engine to be still warm then there should be enough fule pressure to start it but not enough to keep it running if that makes sense.

OP
OP
hovocop

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thank you Captain, very interesting reading...........
superexpy, if I try restarting right after I turn it off (30 seconds) it starts, but when I wait longer, it fails........ until I wait 45 mins or so

wakeboarderNH

Reaction score
Sounds electrical to me - my jetski did the same thing, it was a cracked ignition coil. When its cold the contacts would touch, and start and run the balls. Once hot, copper expanded and the electricity wouldn't jump that gap.
How does it run when its hot?