Noticed excessive fogging and coolant smell in cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Hey Guys ... suddenly noticed the windshield wouldn't defog the other day .. didn't think to much on that trip as its starting to get a little cooler. Then the other day started to smell coolant in the cabin.
Looked under the bonnet (hood) and sure enough a little low in the expansion tank .. couldn't see obvious leaks put a pressure on the system and sure enough dropping slowly ... no obvious drips underneath ... recently did the intake man gasket and no steam from tail pipe so fairly confident its not burning it and Obviously I'm smelling it in the cabin ... how can i do a test of the heater core (front and back) and can i get a look behind the glove box or is it buried ??

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two other places I’d recommend checking are the following…

1. On my ‘04 there is a heater control valve on the passenger side (as viewed from the front) near firewall. It’ll be a valve that has the heater pressure, and return, lines going to it. Look for leaking/ cracks.

2. Also, the 5.4 plastic manifold has a metal water crossover pipe that mounts to the underside. The manifold, and pipe, have a rubber gasket that seals the two together. After years of use the plastic becomes weak, and the channel the gasket sits in blows out. Causing the seal to be compromised. At which point antifreeze will leak out into a deep channel on top of the engine block while being hidden under the manifold.

I realize the setup is different on an ‘14 compared to an ‘04. Check it out… these ideas may translate. Good luck.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any wet carpet up front ? You also have a rear heater core back there in the HVAC box of the right rear quarter panel.

Last edited:

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Fluid was low so I topped it off. Became low again in a few days. Turned out to be the water pump leaking.

OP
OP
WrenchinBrit

WrenchinBrit

Reaction score
Guys .. it was the heater in the dash up front .. in the meantime i bypassed it so had no heat up front for the winter.. even with heated seats it got real cold in the footwell
i have the replacement and an evap coil too just in case i get all the way there and its going out . only want to do this once.. no skimping on the parts OEM's only from rockauto