O/D Off light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need to change the sensors if not the converter.. That recently happened to me. the sensors are throwing off your speed and this is going to result in a very expensive overhaul.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sensors won't cause it to slip though. If he's truly seeing higher rpm in gear, meaning slippage, then he's got bigger issues.

Cheapest and most straightforward path is to drop the pan and check out the fluid. It likely could use a fluid change anyway. But even if the fluid is new, you can still catch it in a pan and re-use it. I do it all the time installing modified valve body kits. Hardly lose a drop.

D

XR4Ti

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and decided to take it in as I would have expected some kind of electrical-oriented code if it was a bad sensor or solenoid (which I didn't get) and I have limited code reading with my scanner.

Sounds like the tech got a code for the forward clutch piston so he dropped the pan and everything looks clean. So I'm likely heading towards an overhaul on it.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OVERHAUL it, I would suggest installing a Sure Cure Kit from Sonnax and a HUGE cooler. if you want to go even further install a huge oil pan as well if you can of course!

XR4Ti

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up taking the truck to a private shop after vomiting at the dealer prices.

The Forward drum was cracked -- apparently a common problem, but not surprising given it cracked where there's a pressed notch among each spline. Cracked circumferentially at the notches. Reverse band was starting to wear, OD band was worn.

Replaced converter, seals/rings, filter, bushings, OD and reverse bands, EPC solenoid (just in case), and clutches.

Runs good now.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I ended up taking the truck to a private shop after vomiting at the dealer prices.

The Forward drum was cracked -- apparently a common problem, but not surprising given it cracked where there's a pressed notch among each spline. Cracked circumferentially at the notches. Reverse band was starting to wear, OD band was worn.

Replaced converter, seals/rings, filter, bushings, OD and reverse bands, EPC solenoid (just in case), and clutches.

Runs good now.

Good deal.

Just out of curiosity, how much did all of that cost you?

D

XR4Ti

Reaction score
In CDN $, it was basically $1600 for the rebuild P&L and $500 for the removal/install.

Ionizer12

Reaction score
Having a similar problem in my 06. OD light flashing and it is sluggish accelerating in first gear, beyond that it's fine. Took it to get the codes run and it's. Showing the first gear ratio code I think the p0731. Replaced the rear speed sensor but didn't change anything. The aamco I went to to get codes run said the their was low pressure? It's not having any hard shifts just that problem engaging first. Scared of the price of the rebuild and hoping someone here might have had a similar issue and possibly a cheaper repair route but gut feeling is I need an overhaul. Any thoughts?