O/D Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert46

Reaction score
Welcome. I recently started a flashing overdrive light.
Does anyone know what this could mean?
I'll add that sometimes flashes and sometimes not

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
This means the pcm has recognized an issue with your transmission. Could be multiple things. Not sure if the pcm will set a code or not. May have to have to take it to dealer to read code.

OP
OP
Robert46

Robert46

Reaction score
Transmission works well. Recently, even the box was regeneration.
As O \ D is working normally it's nieszrapie in fourth gear.

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this flashing OD problem and it didnt clear up until we cut the rear cats off. They were super duper clogged up looked like cement in there. Took it to trans shop and hooked it up to a real diagnosis machine. The truck ran fine shifted fine didnt throw any trans codes. Get up to 45-55 a little bucking and flashing OD. Cut the rear cats truck runs excellent now. Take it to exhaust shop and ask them to test it for you. Good luck.

97EddieExped

Reaction score
Hey I'm gouna bump this thread instead of starting a new one on the same issue. 97 4x4, intermittent OD light flashing. It starts shifting hard (read: firm shifts) as soon as the light starts (limp mode?) Ford didn't know, they said it read fine. Any ideas? There's no discernible pattern to it starting. Thx y'all.

irc fab

Reaction score
mine did the same thing and then it wouldn't even lite up and i found mine had a broke wire in the wire harness from the od button in the colum you can get the whole shifter with button ,boot and new wire all in on complete unit for about 75 bucks and works perfect now,cuz if the wire breaks or shorts the od won't work correctly and i have never had one of these trans ever break where i had to replace. i don't do the hp flush i just drop the pan and replace filter and gasket clean it good. my good buddy been a trans guy for years and sd ya can screw up doing the flush and you remove all your friction in the trans oil and when ya flush sometimes ya blow all the dirt out of the filter into the heart of the tranny. i would check the harness first for a broke wire it fixed mine

Last edited: