Odometer doesn't work after getting gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each time I've filled up the truck, when I start the ignition the odometer is blank. Button doesn't seem to do anything either. Usually the next time I start the truck it works as normal. It hasn't blanked out during the many days while using the tank- just immediately after filling up.

Any ideas?

spt87a

Reaction score
Have not seen this exact symptom myself, but these instrument clusters are known for bad solder joints to the LED display.

Easy fix except it will take a few minutes to get the cluster out.

Once out, trace the connection from the LED to the circuit board and then re-solder the connections. Here is a video I found on it:

2000 Ford Expedition Pickup Odometer Fix 5.4L Video

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks. And I've noticed it's not just when I get gas- just randomly.

I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I should be able to tackle this. Finding the time to do it will be the tough part.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have not seen this exact symptom myself, but these instrument clusters are known for bad solder joints to the LED display.

Easy fix except it will take a few minutes to get the cluster out.

Once out, trace the connection from the LED to the circuit board and then re-solder the connections. Here is a video I found on it:

2000 Ford Expedition Pickup Odometer Fix 5.4L Video

I would love to know how YOU get the cluster out in just a FEW MINUTES

Bet its more like 30 to 45 minutes

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the OP should stop "getting gas" on the odometer... It might work better if he didn't do that.

Yes, I think I'm funny!

bocco

Reaction score
Raining all day yesterday and today in Northern Ca. Spent some time in the garage. Fixed the over head display and my odometer on my 2000 Expy.

Thanks to all that posted pics and made the videos.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the resolder trick. It seemed to work- for awhile. Now it's back to randomly working. Maybe need to do it again but flow the solder a little better.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus