Oil 5w-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP-TJ

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB with 5.4l engine. I saw online that Ford had changed the oil used for servicing this vehicle to 5w-20 in a bulletin. I have used 5w-30 and the manual says 5-30. Would there be any benefit to changing to 5W-20 instead? Both are available in motorcraft brand synthetic blend at my local Walmart.

Anybody else switch over after they issued the bulletin?

GP

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30. I never heard why they changed the recommendation but it seems fishy to me. Anyone know why they did it?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, it has something to do with meeting gas mileage requirements, or something like that.

I use 5W-30 Mobile 1.

OP
OP
G

GP-TJ

Reaction score
I thought it had something to do with gas mileage. I just don't know if there is something else to it as far as being "better" for the engine in addition to being better for the CAFE standards.

GP

OP
OP
G

GP-TJ

Reaction score
Originally posted by chuck s
Thinner oil causes less friction in the engine. There's no benefit in using 50 weight oil or 10W40 in other than speciality engines.

-- Chuck

So the 5w-20 is better than the 5w-30 in the 5.4l 2v engine?

GP

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not better...just increases gas mileage.

Either one will protect just fine in our modular engines.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would never use 5W20 conventional oil in any of my vehicles. a film strength of 20 can't provide good enough protection for the engine under high load or high heat. I use mobil 1 5w30 and flows better when cold than conventional 5w20. if you really want cold starting performance and a mileage boost 0w30 synthetic would be a good choice.

Matt R

Last edited: