Oil Change Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edubb44

Reaction score
I have a '97 EB 5.4 Engine with the Remote Oil Filter behind the Front Bumper. I am sure this is an simple question, but when I change my oil is there a Certain way? I mean I just drop the Oil in the Pan, then the Oil Filter. Should I drop the Oil Filter first to drain the Oil Lines or what? I run Mobil 1 so its not a huge deal if there is some oil left in the line. Thank You.

:shootout:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just drain whats in the pan first then take off the filter and let it drain. It doesn't really matter if you don't get it all. I'd only be conserned with getting it all if water got into it somehow or it was contaminated some other way (someone pouring in tranny fluid thinking its oil or something ;) ).

Or if your changing from mineral to synthetic. But mechanics don't really do anything to wash the old shit out so I don't think you need to anyways. Just let it sit for a while to get everything out. Tilt the truck in the appropriate direction to get the oil out maybe.

Not the thing you really have to over think.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did mine by my self for the first time ... whooo hooo. The expy is the first car i was brave enough to get under and try ... seeing as i dont have to jack it up lol

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For you DIY guys, I recommend a fumoto valve:

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Get the one with a nipple. You can slide a tube over it, then drain it right into a container. And you won't spill a drop.

When I removed my oil filter, I used a large zip-lock freezer bag. This way, all the oil dripped into the bag, and all I had to do was seal it up. And I'd hardly spill a drop.

I've run fumoto valves on all my cars for at least 10 years. Have never had a problem with nay of them.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, this is the second time I've heard someone mention this. I may look into it in the future :)

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah this valve sounds like good idea. I recently changed my oil about a week ago. I lost over a quart in oil since then because I didn't tighten the oil drain plug enough when putting it back on. This happens often on the Fords for some reason. I had a guy lose all of his oil in his truck because his drain plug decided to come all the way off. I'm not sure the exact reason for it. Great engines, bad plugs. :( Just make sure to check the drain plug a day after you've done the oil change to make sure that it is tight enough.