Preparing for doing first oil change myself

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing the oil in the Expy myself for the first time (done it on other vehicles plenty of times before). I'm planning on grabbing some Mobil 1 Advanced and a Motorcraft filter, as well as a Fumoto valve (or similar). I'm just curious if this vehicle has any quarks I should know about or any specific tips?
Thanks!

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if my 2020 is different, but oil change was a breeze.

Put it up on ramps, regular drain plug (it’s so easy a Fumoto valve seems silly).

There’s a little trough under the oil filter that will drain toward the back (on ramps/lifted at the front) or to the front of the car if it’s level, like on a lift.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most time consuming part is removing the felt protector where the oil drain bolt is located. I do my oil changes with the vehicle level and the trough Zak mentions where the filter is makes you think the oil will come forward. It doesn't do that, it still flows out the back of the trough so if you aren't prepared it'll come out where you aren't suspecting and make a mess. I found a guy on YouTube who took a 1 quart oil bottle and cut the one side off and put it under the filter in the trough before removing the filter. I tried it yesterday when I changed it and it worked really well and pretty much eliminated the entire mess I had the first time.

Attachments

• PXL_20230826_151933313.jpg
    PXL_20230826_151933313.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 13

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine isn’t as easy. First i have to remove the felt underbelly pan that blocks the drain plug, then I have to remove the front skid plate to access the filter.

Then the location of the drain plug makes it difficult to not make a mess or get yourself drenched in hot oil. My advice is to cut an empty jug and use the upper half to funnel the oil to your pan.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electric ratchet makes taking bottom cover off much easier. When you loosen the filter, do it just enough to let the oil drain slowly into the guide. If it drains quickly it will flow out of the plastic channel.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the fumito, because you can put a tube on it and drain straight into a container, rather than a catch pan and transfer. Two 7mm (?) bolts at the front of the felt deflector allows it to drop enough to access the drain plug.

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Valvomax and it's working really well to avoid a mess. Also I believe the only Mobil 1 that meets the spec is the Extended Performance.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but it looks like this meets the B1 spec, no?

Attachments

• 20230827_145312.png
    20230827_145312.png
    815.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230827_145201.jpg
    20230827_145201.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 23

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does look like it yeah. And now I can't find the post on BITOG that detailed why EP met something or other that the Advanced did not. I put Advanced in my car as well, came across the BITOG post and figured I'd just use EP next time, not a big deal. Interestingly, if you put the Expy into the oil recommendation page at Mobil.com it will spit out the EP as the highest "performance level" for it, but both are recommended.

OP
OP
S

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
It does look like it yeah. And now I can't find the post on BITOG that detailed why EP met something or other that the Advanced did not. I put Advanced in my car as well, came across the BITOG post and figured I'd just use EP next time, not a big deal. Interestingly, if you put the Expy into the oil recommendation page at Mobil.com it will spit out the EP as the highest "performance level" for it, but both are recommended.
Good to know. I just mainly went with this because it's available at my Costco and was $10 off for 6 qts.