oil gauge fluctuating for no apparant reason

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadly

Reaction score
Have the same problem with my 01 5.4 expy. I was guessing it was the sending unit and not the oil pump (hoping) so I will try to change that out and see if it still does it.

gto78

Reaction score
Is it fixed? I've seen oil pressure sensors go bad a lot, and they usually have a dead spot at one exact psi range, for instance it works great above and below 34 psi, but AT 34 psi it will drop to zero, or maybe peg the gauge out above full.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know this is an old thread but now i am having problems with my oil guage. when the truck is cold (or after being started at the end of the work day), the oil guage goes up to normal, then drops down to C with the light, and then goes back up to normal. it will go away when i start to drive but when i come to a stop, it starts to do it again. this only happens for about 10 mins then it works just fine. seems to only happen when the engine is "cold". any ideas?

yammerslammer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i know this is an old thread but now i am having problems with my oil guage. when the truck is cold (or after being started at the end of the work day), the oil guage goes up to normal, then drops down to C with the light, and then goes back up to normal. it will go away when i start to drive but when i come to a stop, it starts to do it again. this only happens for about 10 mins then it works just fine. seems to only happen when the engine is "cold". any ideas?

More than likely its your sensor. You need to remove your oil filter to get to it. It could be loose, or it could be bad. New ones are cheap.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im about due for an oil change anyway. i will have to take a look. where exactly is the sensor located? pics would be great! haha

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im about due for an oil change anyway. i will have to take a look. where exactly is the sensor located? pics would be great! haha

You can't miss it, it is conected to the oil filter adapter plate. When you pull off the filter you will see it coming off the side right above the filter ( look for a canister about 2" long with one wire on it and you got it ).

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see this post is old and I had one similar to it myself. I just wanted to say that to resolve my issue it was just the sensor and it is pretty easy to swap it out. I got the part from Autozone because Kragen (O'Reiley) dicked me and ordered the wrong part. The sensor was about $8-9 and has a lifetime warranty. I don't remember the number but it's not hard to find if you search one of the companies sites. I have the 5.4 also but I can't imagine the other one (if it is even different) costing much more. This seems to be a common enough issue that it is probably just the sensor if you are not noticing any other problems and the oil pressure guage just drops and goes back to a normal reading. Mine never registered high pressure during this course either so I think it was just that the sensor either stopped reading or sending for short periods of time and it was also always cold.