Oil Leak - Is this Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 with about 140k.

I'm seeing some oil dripping off the plastic pan under the engine. The dealer had mentioned this to me as something to look at at some point a while back.

Last oil change was in July done by the dealership.

I've heard a bad gasket in the oil pan or valve cover is fairly common.

Are there there other common causes?

Could this be a more serious issue?

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_202613500.jpg
    PXL_20231007_202613500.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2015 with about 140k.

I'm seeing some oil dripping off the plastic pan under the engine. The dealer had mentioned this to me as something to look at at some point a while back.

Last oil change was in July done by the dealership.

I've heard a bad gasket in the oil pan or valve cover is fairly common.

Are there there other common causes?

Could this be a more serious issue?

Leaking oil will run down the engine, and be blown rearward while driving (making it hard to determine if there is a leak, and where it is).

The only oil leak I have had on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new, was at the brake vacuum pump assembly (which is mounted on the passenger side rear of the engine). There was also a fitting leaking there.

Both were replaced under my Ford service plan.

You will have to have a competent mechanic remove the lower baffle and determine where the oil is leaking. Some times you will have oil leaking off that baffle because the oil-change employee didn’t fully clean the spilled oil.

Reaction score
I believe a common leak is the oil filter adapter gasket. I had this problem (2011 expy 4wd) and the fix was fiddly/tricky but successful (2wd is easy apparently). Now the car doesn't drip any oil at all.

OP
OP
2015owner2015

2015owner2015

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shop just told me it looks like it's coming from the timing cover. They put some dye in the oil so we can confirm this. He says it's probably around $3K to repair. Maybe also the vacuum pump. I will know more after I drive it a couple hundred miles.

Any advice if it does turn out to be the timing cover? I think I would want to change the water pump.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shop just told me it looks like it's coming from the timing cover. They put some dye in the oil so we can confirm this. He says it's probably around $3K to repair. Maybe also the vacuum pump. I will know more after I drive it a couple hundred miles.

Any advice if it does turn out to be the timing cover? I think I would want to change the water pump.
There are instructions online for replacing the valve cover. It's a common repair and straightforward but does require removal of the wire harness and hpfp. I'll need to do this soon, as I noticed oil in my plug well recently. Just did it last weekend on my Altima.

Reaction score
I wonder if, with only the front cover off, it is possible to do the chain guides and tensioners (without removing the timing chains or the valve covers).

At the least, they will be able to see the condition of the chain guides.

Gussy-Larry

Reaction score
Fordtechmaculoco quoted me around $4000 for a full timing job on my 2007 Expedition. I would say find a mechanic you trust or make a trip to the Chicagoland area and have FTM set you up right. $3000 seems pretty steep for just a gasket.