is 2010 Transmission Reseal/Replacement neccesary? You judge.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I picked up a 2010 Exp in late 2020, and have done allllll the work on it recommended, all fluids, etc. I've known there was a small transmission leak, but didn't seem to be a big problem, no signs of it on my driveway. I should say, I don't drive much, it gets less than 2000 miles a year, car has 116k on it. On a recent visit, they advised doing the UV dye, since they saw signs of leakage. Damage report today on viewing the UV dye:
Timing cover is leaking. This is causing oil to drip down and saturate oil pan and blow back to the rear main seal area.Recommend timing service with reseal of coverSigns of seepage from engine oil pan.
Recommend resealing engine oil pan.
Signs of seepage from transmission oil pan. Notes from previous repair order confirms oil pan seepage. Recommend resealing transmission oil pan with filter kit.
Rear main seal is leaking. Notes from previous repair order confirms rear main seal is leaking. Recommend replacing rear main seal.
Cost of the repairs probably exceeds KBB of the car. Now I do some of the work on the car myself, but this is above my paygrade, and in all honesty, I could easily be getting hit extra hard cause I'm a woman. I'm getting different advice from different people on the severity of the issue, and I'm trying to figure out if this car is really worth this work. I'd planned to roadtrip with it this month, and I'm concerned now about doing so. Pics attached from the garage that did the work.

Attachments

• transmission.pdf
    383.1 KB · Views: 10

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guess my opinion is if it isn't leaking enough to leave spots on the floor, it's fine. Just make sure fluid levels are good and drive it.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't be convinced that the rear main seal is leaking since the timing cover leak is blowing back to the rear main seal area, per their own notes. The oil pan and transmission pan are no big deal as long as it's not leaving a puddle. Honestly I'd just leave it as-is if it's not losing a lot of fluids. Growing up we always had old Ford trucks and they ALL leaked everything. We just checked the fluids regularly and kept a cardboard box underneath when parked.

For the transmission pan, I'd be very surprised if it's the actually the pan since the gasket is very good (and reusable). If anything, it's probably the bulkhead connector seal, which is a known leak point. The fact that they are trying to sell you on a pan re-seal makes the whole estimate suspect to me.

You could try a "stop leak" to see if it would help, but there aren't any guarantees.

OP
OP
Reaction score
I asked about the bulkhead connector, because I read about it here, and they were kind of insulting back, insisting the pan was leaking. I said ok, but where is the actual leak coming from, how is fluid getting into the pan? Anyways, I'm taking it to a transmission shop today to get a second opinion.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated above, the quote is suspect. Bulkhead connector is a very common source of what look like pan gasket leaks, and your 2010 will have the old style installed from the factory. Cheap and easy fix.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It really does not seem to be excessive, Maybe pressure wash and run it Just keep and eye on fluids. most cars /trucks seep some where nothing is perfect. You will most likely get another 100,000 out of it with no problems from the seeping