oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i just hit 125000 miles and ive always used penzoil. but what do you all think i should use. i lose about a quart somewhere.

OP
OP
99ebexpedition

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
talking to a couple mechanics they said i should change my oil weight to 10w30 since its over 125000

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i use highmileage oil. it helps a little bit. but i need the lighter weight cause i have valve knock and it helps it go away quicker.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have about the same mileage as you do and I've been very happy with Valvoline Max Life full synthetic. The additional additives that are put in to 'high mileage' oils are worth the slightly higher price.

ExpySport

Reaction score
I have almost 150,000 miles on my 2002 Expy and still use the Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend at every oil change. I've toyed with switching to a high-mileage oil, but I truly believe in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. I typically go through 1/2 to 1 quart every 5000 miles. I've heard that the modular engines were designed to use approximately a quart every 5k. Whether that is true or not, I've become used to it and continue to enjoy every day with my Expedition.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use 5-30W Mobil One, and its been used since owning mine. Lots of people like the Synthetic or High Mileage. I would use something other than penzoil. Penzoil is really bad for sludge buildup, and I've pulled lots of motors apart that used penzoil that have had tons of sludge on the valve covers.

OP
OP
99ebexpedition

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive never hears that about penzoil. now valvoline i heard is horrible. i wouldnt put it on a bike chain that stuff is so crappy.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
valvoline is bad. thats why its cheap. haha not much. my dads always used castrol gtx and i use gtx high mileage. i figured the extra pesos are good.