oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
talking to a couple mechanics they said i should change my oil weight to 10w30 since its over 125000

that is really old school thought that you need thicker oil as the engine gets more mileage on it. People did that to lessen the smoke from the exhaust. Problem is that thicker oil flows slower. not what i want. Slow moving oil in an older/high mileage engine is a recipe for more trouble. Stay with the same weight oil.

bring_em_on

Reaction score
that is really old school thought that you need thicker oil as the engine gets more mileage on it. People did that to lessen the smoke from the exhaust. Problem is that thicker oil flows slower. not what i want. Slow moving oil in an older/high mileage engine is a recipe for more trouble. Stay with the same weight oil.

Take a look at the diagrams on the oil flow in these engines. You wouldn't believe some of the near pin holes that the oil flows through.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5-30w since I bought my Expy used last year, it had 48,000 miles on it and according the the oil change records the prior owner was using Penzoil full synthetic. I now have 56,000 on it and Unfortunatley I've noticed oil consumption at about 2 quarts per 4,000 miles so over the weekend I bought the recommended 5-20w Motorcraft blend and new filter as I'm going to see if changing to the 5-20w reduces the oil consumption.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i lose a lot! maybe a quart or two. but i change it regularly so it doesnt worry me.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go with a high mileage oil like castrol or penzoil, it has properties in them that actually help slow down the amount of oil you lose or burn.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i do. but 157+ miles dont help much. time for an oil change im over my 3000 limit by i think 68 miles. haha ill change it next week i think. when i do my fuel filter.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
really? weird. i think mines has always burnt oil. it was a drug runner for part of its life. so we dont know how it was driven. but its been in this family for most of its life. but who knows. i think it always spitts it out. my oil pan isnt the cleanest thing in the world. it needs a good hot steam power wash.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition