Overhead Compass and Temp Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 2001 Expedition XLT with the overhead compass and Temp Gauge that has stopped working, just the readout, everything else in the overhead compartment works still the rear air and the lights work. Anyone experienced this or know where to start looking?

Paul S

Reaction score
You have to drop the overhead console and get to the display in the front. There are 3 surface mounted chips on the board labeled 510. the solder cracks and these need to be resoldered. someone on the site has the link and how to fix the display. It is really simple and takes about 15-30 minutes. I will look for the link and see if I can post it on Sat/

Paul S

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. The I have been missing the compass for driving around. :D

rogerrabt

Reaction score
Apparently they haven't fixed it for the 2002 model either. Same issue, the 510 resistors break loose.

Remove overhead console by removing screw under the sunglass storage bin.
pull down in back to unclip 1 spring clip
pull down in front to unclip 2 spring clips
slide forward to release.
See Step 20

I was able to lift up the broken solder joint. After resoldering, it worked like a charm.

Attachments

• 2002ExpCompas.jpg
    2002ExpCompas.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,977

Laurab69

Reaction score
My deep thanks for this fix! Hubby was able to pull the panel, pull the board, and solder the chip back in place. WIthout you guys I'd still be telling him to "go to the right side of the big shopping mall thingy" instead of "East". Thank you!!

BSarkFord

Reaction score
Hi all. I also have the 2000 Ford Expedition XLT Overhead compass and Temp Gauge problem. I got as far as removing console, finding both "510 modules" mentioned in rogerrabt's post were loose, but I can't get the solder to stick to one of the modules. Any suggestions? Can I buy just those 2 modules, or are they resistors?

Thanks,
Bill

BSarkFord

Reaction score
Apparently they haven't fixed it for the 2002 model either. Same issue, the 510 resistors break loose.

Remove overhead console by removing screw under the sunglass storage bin.
pull down in back to unclip 1 spring clip
pull down in front to unclip 2 spring clips
slide forward to release.
See Step 20

I was able to lift up the broken solder joint. After resoldering, it worked like a charm.
Hi rogerrabt. I also have the 2000 Ford Expedition XLT Overhead compass and Temp Gauge problem. I got as far as removing console, finding both "510 modules" mentioned in your post were loose, but I can't get the solder to stick to one of the modules. Any suggestions? Can I buy just those 2 modules, or are they resistors?

Thanks,
Bill

FIVEHAM1

Reaction score
Need Ford Part #

I have a 2001 Expedition and the temp/compass unit in the overhead console has gone out. I have performed the "fix" by resoldering the 510 resistor to no avail. Does anyone have the part number for that particular module? I cannot even find the unit at Fordparts.com. My vin # is 1FMRU15L31LA58992.