Overhead DVD & Sunroof - PLEASE HELP !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cylinderman

Reaction score
I recently purchased an '03 EB w/ Sun roof. We have two children and were planning on installing an overhead DVD. We were told by two places that it couldn't be installed.

Any suggestions ???....is there room for the sunroof to retract and have a DVD???

Thanks in advance !

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like there is no place for the DVD player to bolt to with the sunroof in the way. You'd have to mount the DVD system onto the top headliner (just my guess) and that wouldn't support the DVD screen.

Have you thought about hacking into the front headrests and installing monitors in those?

I'm not a fan of hacking into headrests just because eventually down the line, the seams will come undone around where the monitors are inserted into the headrests.

Good luck

Chesterfoxes

Reaction score
How do they mount the factory DVD player on vehicles with sunroofs? It must be possible as many vehicles come factory-equipped with both features.

Paul

cbridge

Reaction score
Where R U located? I have a 2004 EB with Sunroof and I had one installed in Baltimore MD and it's been over a year and works GREAT. I have the DVD in the center console (hidden out of the way) and a 10.4" flip down screen on the roof. They placed a support bar between the Truck metal roof and the padding ceiling (They worked thru the Sunroof ceiling) to screw the monitior into the roof and it looks original, except I have a 10.4 screen VS Ford's 7 inch screen. I have the navigator system also, and they placed a 7" screen just below heating/air conditioning controls in the middle of the console for front passangers viewing and tied a rear back up camera into the monitor, so I can see what's behind me. You have to get a separate unit - a DVD and the TV monitor separately (By having the TV monitor separately it's much and easier to mount in the ceiling). IT CAN BE DONE!!! Hope this helps.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the key word is a support bar. Perhaps the installation shop was looking for a support bar and since they didn't find one, they must have assumed that it wasn't possible.

I'm guessing they bolted this support bar to the roof frame. Cbridge, do you know where they attached the support bar to the roof frame?

cbridge

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they attached the support bar to the frame. I'll check with the shop and get back to you. Also, the 10.4" monitor I have is very thin and light Vs the DVD player and monitor on the Original Ford Expedition. I would bet the Ford truck must have some support for the original DVD. Most Dealers have an outside shop that installs DVDs for them if it's an ADD on. I would suggest you check with a Dealer and find out which shop they use and try going directly to the shop.

leroystokes

Reaction score
If you want to install a screen in your Rxpo with the sunroof, all you have to do is just like cbridge said. You can use 1/4" plywood as the brace. It is just something for the mounting bracket to be screwed to. Just as long as it doesn't interere with the operation of the sunroof.

05spokaneEXPY

Reaction score
I just installed a 17" flip down screeen in my 05 expy. I had Car Toyz here in Spokane, WA do it, cost me $100 or so to do the install. They did an excelllent job. My expy has a sunroof as well, and they never said anything about any type of problems with sunroof or support of the unit. My screen does not have a DVD player in it but that thing is heavy. I replaced my stock Navigation with the Pioneer avic-n2, man that is a sweet unit. I'll see if I can post some pictures of the flip down, if that will help you? If anything ask a local Ford dealer they can do it for sure.