overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cougforester

Reaction score
i've got a '02 eb expedition and it's stalled several times on me. the first two times the light in the upper left corner came on - the oil/coolant combo light. would not restart for about a minute. eventually restarted and that was that. today, it was hot. stalled at a light and had to push (WITH 2 OTHERS!) into a parking lot. started back up about 5 minutes later. the temp gauge reads normal.

will these vehicles shut off if they get too hot?

about 3 hours later, i took out the thermostat to test it and was surprised at how hot the coolant still was.

how often have you guys seen the ford thermostats go bad?

it's a motorcraft 192 degree thermostat. i put it in hot water and tested it. should it be fully open at 192 or beginning to open? right now, it's just barely beginning to open at that temp and not fully open until 210 degrees.

could that be the problem and then the temp gauge sending unit bad?

what do you think?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be fully open at 192°F. I would replace it and see if the problem persists.

I think something electrical is getting heated up and shutting down the engine.

If you overheat the engine it'll go into limp mode which shuts off certain cylinder's fuel & spark turning them into air pumps to help cool the engine.

It shouldn't shut off.

I would replace the thermostat & fluch the coolant whiel you're there. I wouldn't worry about the temp guage right now.

OP
OP
C

cougforester

Reaction score
well, i replaced the thermostat and fuel filter. now the problem is worse. i couldn't even get it around the neighborhood without it stalling, waiting for it to cool and retrying. it even stalls if i leave it running in the driveway so it doesn't need to even be moving.

my guess is that a sensor is heating up as well. i'm taking it in to a shop today. will report later what they find.

by the way, do you guys run k&n air filters? i did in my ranger but know that some have problems with the computer defaults when trying to run them in certain vehicles due to the airflow over the map sensor being different. if you do, have you seen any difference in performance? the one in ranger made a big difference.

OP
OP
C

cougforester

Reaction score
ford says this is due to a bad and clogged iec valve somewhere on the fuel system.

ford also said the pcm went out as well. this part is covered under warranty.

$500 to replace iec valve and clean fuel system. does this sound right?

OP
OP
C

cougforester

Reaction score
check the iec valve. it's an iac which i thought was correct to begin with. what's the cost of an iac for a 02 expedition?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THE IAC FROM THEM! DO NOT LET THEM DO ANYTHING TO YOUR TRUCK!

YOU CAN CLEAN THE IAC YOURSELF AND EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE IT IS LESS THAN $50.