P0015 on 2012 Expy with 5.4 Triton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GDIMammothTank

Reaction score
I got a P0015 on my 2012 Expy 5.4L today. Idling really rough but revvs up on it's own and is smooth. Hoping it's something with the fuel and not directly engine related. Just got it back from the dealer around a week ago for them fixing a stuck valve on the passenger side head. I attached a copy of the RO. Any advice or similar problems?1000015877.jpg1000015878.jpg

JimR_TN

Reaction score
That paperwork seems to indicate a leaking valve that may be bent. It recommends a new engine and doesn't indicate it was repaired. The P0015 is very different from the paperwork, a VCT error so that may just be an issue with the connection to the VCT solenoid or camshaft position sensor. Since they had it apart and recommended a replacement engine they might not have put everything back together correctly.

Your bigger concern may be #3 intake valve. How did things end with that shop?

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank

GDIMammothTank

Reaction score
That paperwork seems to indicate a leaking valve that may be bent. It recommends a new engine and doesn't indicate it was repaired. The P0015 is very different from the paperwork, a VCT error so that may just be an issue with the connection to the VCT solenoid or camshaft position sensor. Since they had it apart and recommended a replacement engine they might not have put everything back together correctly.

Your bigger concern may be #3 intake valve. How did things end with that shop?
The RO is the completed repair for #3 intake valve. I bought the Expy and asked why they had it in reconditioning and wouldn't tell me why and when I turned it on the next morning it was the same CEL they had in recon. They didn't want to but they paid for the repair. I am wondering if it is fuel pump/debris in tank due it the P0015 only coming on at 1/4 tank

JimR_TN

Reaction score
P0015 wouldn’t be fuel. It is related to the camshaft, either with the VCT or a mechanical issue with the phaser. Since they had that head off last month I would have them recheck it.

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank

GDIMammothTank

Reaction score
P0015 wouldn’t be fuel. It is related to the camshaft, either with the VCT or a mechanical issue with the phaser. Since they had that head off last month I would have them recheck it.
Put a new VCT in last night. Fixed the rough idle while in gear. Gotta make a new thread post for super low idle now though lol. Sitting somewhere around 470-500 while in gear and 520ish while in park. Just keeps on going lol

OP
OP
GDIMammothTank

GDIMammothTank

Reaction score
They wanted to make an appointment. It had a pending code for crankshaft position with camshaft B but it never came as a stored code. Still idling between 470 and 520 when in gear at a light and like 640 in park.