P0021 and cant fix it. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

traceface1086

Reaction score
2010 Expedition. First had a code for #4 coil. Changed all coils and plugs. Code went away but p0021 appeared along with a rough idle. Has progressively gotten worse and now idles rough, shakes and struggles uphill and jerks at higher rpm. Changed oil and filter, new VVTs on both sides, also swapped CAM sensors and code remained bank 2 (p0021). What else can I check? I'm lost. I have a diagnostic tool . spark adv is all over the place (jumps from 12 to 16 to 24 back to 16) but idk what that means or how to read the other numbers..

OP
OP
T

traceface1086

Reaction score
Stft on both banks jump anywhere from -7 to 14 and never hits 0 at idle

Ltft b1 stays around 3 and ltft b2 .8 steady.

If that means anything.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles are on it ? When's the last time the timing chains, guides, tensioners, phasers were replaced ?

holeintheice

Reaction score
I would wonder about chains too and worn out arm/guides. Also too don't you think the whole bank would mis? Have you done a relative compression test?

OP
OP
T

traceface1086

Reaction score
118,000 miles. I got it about 20000 miles ago and am not sure when timing chains etc were replaced. I did NOT do a compression test but did just test oil pressure. It was about 70psi cold, dropped to around 20psi when warm. At 2000rpm, pressure was around 65psi. P0021 is still only code but I do hear a ticking/clicking noise around the top end on both sides now.