P0136 Cat going bad ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So again my P0136 code has come up on the Edge.
I think its passenger behind the cat.
So it did this a month ago and then it seem to clear the code its self.
I changed the O2's a year ago, so I'm not sure is there a chance the cat is going?
Also I think it came on after I gave it full pedal, but not sure. ...
thanks for your ideas

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
P0136_zps8a7f0d36.jpg

Are you still running all 4 factory cats??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes all 4 :angry94:
It's weird cause as I said the sensor is new, check condition seemed fine.
Not sure where a exhaust leak would be?

I'm leaning towards getting the cats done 4 -2 but they want like $800 for 2 new cats installed :yucky:

Need that money tree..

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
screw the cats you dont need them lol. Im only running my front 2 cats and i dont get a light. maybe ur upstream 02 sensors are bad?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
screw the cats you dont need them lol. Im only running my front 2 cats and i dont get a light. maybe ur upstream 02 sensors are bad?

I would tend to agree.

It should not effect performance unless the cats themselves are creating a restriction due to melted core etc....

The rear O2's simply monitor cats efficiency.

If you have to pass emissions test or vehicle inspection that would be different. But in either case I would not be in any hurry to do something and strangely enough cats are not listed as one of the possible sources in the ford shop manual. It just states the sensor itself is out of range.... This may mean its reading cleaner exhaust than possible!? Would sorta make sense with the list of possible causes. Just a guess?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I took out the rear sensor and was going to switch it, with the other side to see if it was sensor, but threads stripped on both sensor and exhaust.:frown:

So off to the exhaust shop and now I have 2 new magna flow cats not 4 and replaced the front O2's and the 1 rear screwed one. :flamingdevil:

I have to pass emissions, actually this week.. so I had to have some cats in place. The shop said these magna flow cats will do better than my old 4.

Drove 300kms this weekend and NO codes :pepper::pepper::pepper:

OP
OP
Canadian Expy

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ohh and I put new double wall SS tips on, I was sick of my old ones turning brown all the time !!