P0174?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAKE94

Reaction score
Has anybody every had a p0174 code due to a faulty or clogged injector. I have checked the MAF all the vacum line's and done the water test on the intake with no change so im now thinking a bad or faulty injector. Any thoughts??

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some things for you to look at

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors the fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information.

See Possible Causes for DTC P0171.

See Diagnostic Aides for DTC P0171

P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information

Air Measurement System
  • MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System
  • Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
  • Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
  • Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
  • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
  • EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
  • Fuel supply line restricted.
  • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
Air Induction System
  • Air leaks after the MAF.
  • Vacuum Leaks.
  • PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
  • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Exhaust System
  • Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..
EGR System
  • EGR valve tube/gasket leak
  • EVR solenoid vacuum leak
Secondary Air Injection
  • Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).
View Freeze Frame Data to determine operating conditions when DTC was set. Observe LONGFT1 and 2 PID(s). Refer to Section 2 , Adaptive Fuel DTCs Diagnostic Techniques for more information

OP
OP
J

JAKE94

Reaction score
I have read the artical you attached the problem is the majority of information is geared to the problem occurring in both banks rather than just the one

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
A single injector failure will trigger a P0300 and/or P030# to whatever cylinder that is missing. If 174 is your only code id look somewhere else more general, possibly a clogged fuel filter, cleaning the MAF and TB is an excellent way to start and possibly the cheapest too.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read the artical you attached the problem is the majority of information is geared to the problem occurring in both banks rather than just the one

The reason that the information is GENERAL to both banks is because PO171 is for bank ! and PO174 is for bank two The symptoms and the fixes apply to both codes and both banks

If you look at what I first posted which was for information on PO174 It refers to look at the symptoms and fixes for PO171 That information ISN'T SAYING BOTH BANKS AT THE SAME TIME. IT is referring to each code and bank individually.

Think of it as getting a code PO301 and PO306 Two different banks but the same problem and cures

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IN other words

The below was copied from the 2003 FORD SERVICE MANUAL

THIS APPLIES ONLY TO CODE PO174

P0174 - System to Lean (Bank 2)

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to
Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information

Air Measurement System

• MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System

• Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
    • Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
    • Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
    • Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
    • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
    • EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
    • Fuel supply line restricted.
    • Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
Air Induction System

• Air leaks after the MAF.
    • Vacuum Leaks.
    • PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
    • Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.
Exhaust System

• Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..
EGR System

• EGR valve tube/gasket leak
    • EVR solenoid vacuum leak
Secondary Air Injection

• Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).
View Freeze Frame Data to determine operating conditions when DTC was set. Observe LONGFT1 and 2 PID(s). Refer to Section 2 , Adaptive Fuel DTCs Diagnostic Techniques for more information

OP
OP
J

JAKE94

Reaction score
What I'm trying to wrap my head around is that items such as the MAF and the PVC and the EGR even the fuel filter or fuel pressure would effect both Banks, because the code is only showing on bank 2 it would have to be something that only effects that bank suck as an injector or possibly an air leak at the manifold on that side of in the exhaust before the 02 sensor. I did a water test on the intake and there was no change the fuel pressure is good I have been checking the coils but I only changed them a couple years ago they seem good, it's just starting to drive me nuts ruling out bit by bit with no change. The one thing I have noticed yesterday I had my scan tool on my short term and long term fuel trims on bank 1 where good my short term on bank 2 where good but the long term on bank where at 20% because the short term where good I'm hoping the long will come down.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you fail to realize is that bank 1 and bank to refer to different sides of the engine

Basically that is the only difference. PO171 and PO174 are the same problem with the same symptoms and the same cures. BUT only on different sides of the engine.

As I said early it would be the same as getting a PO301 or a PO306 Both are misfire problems but on different side of the engine. They both have the same symptoms and the same cures.

I do agree that the problem is only showing bank 2 and that indicates that is where the problem is. So you need to find the problem which is on the bank 2 side

Read post #7 and apply those fixes to your problem

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you feel you have an injector problem then swap the injectors from bank 1 to bank 2 and bank 2 to bank 1 see if you then get a PO171 that would prove that the injector(s) are the problem