P0401 Please read!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

40eastvp

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 1997 Ford expedition XLT 5.4V8. The code P0401 keeps popping up I have replaced the EGR Valve, EGR solenoid, DPFE sensor and several hoses I was told recently by ford they believe the system is clogged and they want like $600 to take it apart and clean it. has any one ever heard of this and knows a better way to get it done.
My only issue is when at cruising speed and the lift the throttle off slowly the truck kind of rocks and hesitates and once and a while at idle you hear something like a slight misfire, I have 8 brand new busch plugs, 8 new accel performance coils, Gibson shorty headers, K&N cold air intake, Edge performance programmer, new throttle position sensor, new IAC valve and several other components replaced. Any ideas or help would be awesome thanks.

Last edited:

Neverdie38

Reaction score
i have same problem w my 99 4.6L. same misfire sound and code. light will go off and come one randomly. have you tried cleaning your throttle body? i opened the butterfly valve and it seriously looked like someone caked oil in there. it may help your problem since you've already replaced every single component on the motor!!!

OP
OP

40eastvp

Reaction score
Yes we cleaned the throttle body and it also was like you said but that didnt help. we tried that before begining to replace all the components.

Nokturnal

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my post from another thread..

There are ports that lead from the egr valve to the intake manifold that get completely clogged with black crap. It's a pain to clean them out. Easiest way is to just pull that 90 degree neck off and clean them with it off the vehicle, it takes some time to pull off but it's definitely worth it. When I did my expedition's they were literally clogged shut, and the ports are around the size of a pencil if not bigger. Took lots of prodding/scraping/carb cleaner to get those things clean..

OP
OP

40eastvp

Reaction score
my post from another thread..

There are ports that lead from the egr valve to the intake manifold that get completely clogged with black crap. It's a pain to clean them out. Easiest way is to just pull that 90 degree neck off and clean them with it off the vehicle, it takes some time to pull off but it's definitely worth it. When I did my expedition's they were literally clogged shut, and the ports are around the size of a pencil if not bigger. Took lots of prodding/scraping/carb cleaner to get those things clean..

How hard of a job was it?about how long and did you run into any kind of problems?