P0430 code. Bank 2 inefficient catalyst

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i keep getting this code. It started right before I swapped out my plugs due to several misfires. Most of the misfires were on bank 2, the drivers side, so I'm guessing the cat is bad after it was dealing with 2 or 3 misfires from that bank for who knows how long. It was apparently misfiring since before I bought it, but no idea how long before.

Question is, would the odds point to it being the cat setting the code off or would it be the O2 sensor?

I can go to a muffler shop in town here and for only 250 out the door, they can put a new cat on. My wife and daughter and mother in law are driving it to Florida this weekend, so do you think if I go ahead and put a new cat on, it'll stop tripping the code?

2006 Limited, 5.4

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Symptoms
You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a rough/hard idle when cold.

Causes
A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
  • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
  • There is an exhaust leak
Possible Solutions
First, inspect for exhaust leaks.

Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 2. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it.

One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try testing the post cat 02 sensor. If it's ok, then your cats may needl replacement.

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
Odds are that the sensor is fine but the cat is plugged.

Standard OBDII scanners will show if the post cat sensor is moving or flat lined.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You know same here for me I did my plugs and that code kept coming up for a few weeks, I erased it everytime it turned on, eventually it stopped turning on and haven't seen that code come back in months since...

It's basically a cheat a ford tech showed me, if you keep erasing a code immediately the PCM will force a relearn and work it's self out after ten erases within less than 1 minute

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The PO430, PO420 both are emission codes. They are activated by a 3% drop in operation. That means the converter(right bank, rear PO430), still may be working at 97%(gotta luv California emissions?). It also may be completely melted. How is it running? Mine was running fine(PO420). I purchased a Cat MIL eliminator on EBAY($20). They are sold for off road, 94-2002 Mustangs(check your O2 sensor plug). They plug inline with the rear O2 sensor and trick the computer. The rear O2 sensor does nothing but monitor emissions. The front O2's run the PCM. I cleared the code and it did not come back on(2 years ago) and passed inspection. How many people, shelled out 1000's of dollars or junked good vehicles, with a converter working at 97%? A dirty O2 sensors could also cause this code. My mechanic friend, has had luck, cleaning/replacing them, with this code.

Last edited: