Painting Running Boards. Any Method Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am needing to paint the running boards on our 2016. They are just fading from the sun and I don't feel like dealing with the back to black plastic renewal products anymore. Anyway I am wondering if any one has painted them and if so what should I use to do so? Primer different paints etc.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am needing to paint the running boards on our 2016. They are just fading from the sun and I don't feel like dealing with the back to black plastic renewal products anymore. Anyway I am wondering if any one has painted them and if so what should I use to do so? Primer different paints etc.

Take them off, and give em a good clean with some all purpose cleaner.

Being plastic, I would recommend spraying them with an adhesion promoter then a few coats bumper paint. Pics below
9CCB0BF6-5BD4-4D95-833C-74C7A5F1C1B7.jpeg 63A2FCD4-6D92-4DBA-B12B-6DC1CFC2850F.jpeg

OP
OP
RenegadeBad_Dog

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take them off, and give em a good clean with some all purpose cleaner.

Being plastic, I would recommend spraying them with an adhesion promoter then a few coats bumper paint. Pics below
View attachment 29952 View attachment 29953
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely be tackling this project very soon.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my XLT I used to hit the black running boards with tire shine. Not sure if that’s frowned upon or not but they always looked great.

On the Eddie Bauer they are Pueblo Gold. I already have removed the running boards off this truck so I don’t get the snow build up in winter.

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a Kimball Midwest representative. They sell a prep and paint (or dye) in spray cans that is outstanding. I used it on my 2007 rear bumper cover and after a year it looks great. Almost like new.
Next time I can I will make a picture of the products and post it here.

Last edited:

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '06 I sprayed just the tread part of the rubbing boards with bed liner spray. The extra texture and traction was def appreciated in the rain and snow

Cookieman00x

Reaction score
I painted my 2004 running boards and regretted it. Painted surfaces are slick when wet. I had numerous people slip in and out of the car. I replaced them with an aftermarket set soon after. I would look into an inexpensive ceramic coating for them. The will shine forever and take away the dull look.