Park to Reverse jolt/shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpat

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I started my SUV and when I put it into reverse it made a pretty good jolt/jerk/shake (best I can to describe it). I made sure my foot was completely on the brake and it did it about 10 times. Def hasn’t happened before this point and didn’t seem at all normal. I called to schedule a service appt right away as this has never happened. 5k miles on it......of course stopped doing it after that day. Just picked it up from the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. It has done it slightly a couple times tonight but other times it seems like a smooth transition into reverse. Anyone else have this issue??

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I started my SUV and when I put it into reverse it made a pretty good jolt/jerk/shake (best I can to describe it). I made sure my foot was completely on the brake and it did it about 10 times. Def hasn’t happened before this point and didn’t seem at all normal. I called to schedule a service appt right away as this has never happened. 5k miles on it......of course stopped doing it after that day. Just picked it up from the dealer and they could not replicate the issue. It has done it slightly a couple times tonight but other times it seems like a smooth transition into reverse. Anyone else have this issue??

Not that I'm an expert, but I see you joined yesterday, you're in New Hampshire, and you have an '18 model. It's been fairly cold down here in Virginia the last few days, early in the morning. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but since you're far North of me, I'd hazard a guess, it's at least as cold there, early in the morning. Since you left out some particulars, time of day, temperature, garaged or not, how long after starting the engine did you select reverse, etc., it may be perfectly "normal" if you started it bone chilling cold, and immediately selected reverse, while the idle was still high...

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Yes I am in NH however it was not very cold last Friday. It was in the middle of the day and it was sitting in the sun. I drove it in the morning that same day when it was very cold and I didn’t notice this happening. I most likely engaged it right after starting it, but no different than most times pulling out of my driveway.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck, and let us know, if it continues, and the result.
Sometimes the the obvious is the easiest solution. Just keep an eye on the tachometer before taking it out of Park, especially when going to Reverse, the ratio is a lot more "brutal" than shifting to "Drive" especially if the idle hasn't dropped from near +900 rpm, and especially if you have the tow package and 3.73 ring gears.

OP
OP
K

kpat

Reaction score
Good luck, and let us know, if it continues, and the result.
Sometimes the the obvious is the easiest solution. Just keep an eye on the tachometer before taking it out of Park, especially when going to Reverse, the ratio is a lot more "brutal" than shifting to "Drive" especially if the idle hasn't dropped from near +900 rpm, and especially if you have the tow package and 3.73 ring gears.

Thank you!

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ours will do it if the the truck is hard against the curb stop. My thought is that due to the fact that the transmission is electronically shifted and there is no hard link(cable and shifter) to help insure that the park pawl stays engaged that it is very possible the park hub is designed with slightly undercut slots. That will take more pressure to release and cause a jolt when it happens. A couple of things to try, set the parking brake before shifting to park and make sure to not be up against a curb or curb stop.

Rosko

Reaction score
Mine has been doing the same thing but it's the previous model, I have a 2017 EL with 6spd. and 60k miles.

It wasn't doing it previously, lately, only when cold, it does it when I shift in to reverse and begin backing out of the garage. My garage is about 50-60 degrees or warmer all the time.

My shake/bucking or whatever you want to call it goes away pretty quickly. I can't tell if it's coming from the transmission or the rear differential.

It doesn't make me feel great about it. I've never owned a car, warm or cold...that felt like the transmission or rear end was slipping/grabbing sporadically. I'll keep you updated if mine gets worse, or if I find anything.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with my Charger. I backed out of my driveway and I had a hard jolt/jerk. I swear I hit something, but there was nothing there. I only moved like 20 ft. Then I put it back into drive and it lurched forward. The next day the car drove fine, but there was noise coming from the transmission. I ended up replacing the transmission. Did the dealer look at the transmission at all? Maybe check the fluid?