Parking brake issue (Expedition 2008)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexPianist

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I tried looking up threads with similar issues, but couldn't locate one. If someone has run into a similar problem as I did - I'd greatly appreciate a piece of advice! I replaced parking cables, shoes, hardware - and I still don't have a functioning parking brake system (pedal is too light, cables are moving - levers are being pulled, but shoes are not moving). I don't know what else can I try (I was considering getting new operating levers from Ford, but don't know if it is them, or anything else)... it is a very basic system, it seems, and I'm completely lost. Below are more details:

One of my parking brake cables (passenger side), snapped in February, where it attaches to the operating lever (at the rear wheels). Now, several months later, I finally got to fix it, and replaced both rear cables, left and right. After attaching them to the front cable (to the pedal), the pedal felt very light, and there was no braking (stopping/grabbing) effect, so I assumed I need to change the shoes and hardware (cable snapped due to a rust..I assumed things are looking similarly, under the rotor).

Next day, I replaced parking shoes and the hardware, put the rotors back, and I noticed that while shoes do grab the surface a little bit - the pedal is still very loose (requires little effort to press it down, and creates little to no effect. I did spend endless amount of time adjusting the screw. I assumed the shoes are not good (they were aftermarket, and one particular element looked different from the original)

Today, disassembled it all again, checked the lever, checked the cable, replaced driver-side shoes on (these ones fit perfectly) - everything seemed to be moving as it should. I put other shoes on one side...and now, I have no effect at all. The "hook" (operating lever), moves, but in such a way that causes no effect on the shoes. Below is the video that I recorded on both sides (passenger side has no shoes right now), to show what is happening when I'm pressing the pedal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OLFzbJ00zg

I'm pretty lost at this point, as I don't know what else may be wrong. Could it be that the operating lever is bad? But then, both levers at the same time? Cables are brand new (from Dorman). I'm one step close to bringing it to the mechanic, but I keep wondering if it is one little detail that I may be overlooking, or that needs replacing/fixing?

I'd appreciate any help
Thank you