Parking brake tension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humberto1024

Reaction score
Hey all, having issues with the parking/emergency break on my 2004 Expedition. It is four wheel drive and four disc brake. Has new rotors and new brake pads brakes are working great however parking brake does not hold the vehicle. I have started at the brake pedal and follow the cable all the way back to the rear differential and I do not see anything? How do I tighten this thing up? Please advise thank you

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take the tire off, take the brake caliper off, take the rotor off, find the star wheel at the bottom of the assembly and turn it to push the parking brake shoes outward.
A shop would use a large measuring caliper to set the clearance between rotor and shoes to .010 - .013" .

OP
OP
H

humberto1024

Reaction score
So if I understand you correctly there is a secondary manual set of brake pads behind everything? Well that's the darndest thing. I will search for that thank you very much

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah there's essentially a drum brake on the reverse/inside of the disc, which is the parking brake. I was unaware of it myself until I recently did a full brake job.

1693542249333.png

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire