Parking Break Adjustment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a procedure to adjusting the parking brake on a 2005 Expedition? Are they self-adjusting if I drive backwards and slam on the brakes?

I had it in to have the rear wheel bearings replaced a couple of months ago and they said that I had plenty of material on the shoes. They told me that the brake was working, but I cannot get it to hold on a hill.

I park on a driveway that has a hill and I don't like resting the weight of the vehicle on the parking pall in the transmission.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You use a caliper and adjust the parking brake shoes to .018 clearance between the diameter of the parking brake drum and the shoes. That's the factory way.

-Mike

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You use a caliper and adjust the parking brake shoes to .018 clearance between the diameter of the parking brake drum and the shoes. That's the factory way. -Mike

Thanks Mike, my problem is I don't have a garage to work in so I'm hoping for a way that I can adjust them without removing the rotor.

Volk

Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but did Bedrck47's info help? I have an 03 I got about two weeks ago and living in the Midwest, don't have a lot of hills. However, I was camping over the weekend and found a hill and my parking break did nothing.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Volk

Check on youtube for the following video

2002-2010 Ford Explorer Parking Brake Adjustment
although its for the explorer the expedition is the same

You should pull the rear rotors and check the lining's for the parking brake shoes and the brake surface on the rotors and replace if needed.