PATS/ingition question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgalvin66

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 97 Expedition that needed alot of work. One of the things it needed was to have some locks replaced, so I decided to just change out the entire set including the ignition switch.
This was nice and easy. But I have run into a problem that really has me confussed.

I know that the 97 uses the PATS system and the lock set I purchased came with 2 new "Unprogramed" keys. But once I installed the new ignition I was able to start the engine without having to program the new keys.

As far as I know there is not a remote start kit installed with a transponder anywhere in the vehicle that I can find. What could be causing this?
I do have to go out and pull the ignition switch again today and check for a bad contact because the door chime goes off when the drivers door is open even with the key out now, it did not do this before.

I will be on here alot because there are alot of things that need to be done with this truck. It goes into the shop tomorrow to have both exhaust manifolds and all studs replaced.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave

OP
OP
D

dgalvin66

Reaction score
I have fixed the door chime issue, turned out to be a bent contact that was easily fixed.

I have checked everyplace and still find no trace of a remote start system ever being installed or any reason that the ignition did not require the new keys to be programed in order to work. Even though they worked fine I went ahead and went through the 45 minute process to program them. I still would like to find out what the reason is and what I can do to prevent any problems from this issue in the future.

I am surprised that there has been zero responce to this post.

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99 was the first year to come standard with PATS. The reason your 97 has no problem starting with unprogramed keys is that it doesn't need them.

OP
OP
D

dgalvin66

Reaction score
OHHHHH!!!!!
The key I was given with the truck was a pats key so I asumed it had pats. Maybe that was just the blank that was used to make the copy. Ohwell at least all my locks work now and match. Now I know for future reference that I can just use non pats for copies.

One other question... On the dash it does have the Theft light that flashes. This I would guess only has to do with when I lock the doors using the fobs?? The reason I ask is when I went thru the proccess to try and program the keys it flashed for the axact periods of time the directions said it should for each step.

Thank You for your help
Dave

Last edited:

K5rnt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your missing out. The keypad is awesome lol. Good luck with your new Expy though. Anymore questions feel free to ask there are some VERY well learned folks here.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so just to clarify what I just read...the 97/98 expeds do not have and anti-theft/chipped keys/etc? (even when they have the keyless entry (w/no keypad)).
so theoretically I can use any old key, correct?

Does it change anything if I have the blinking theft light on dash? (in terms of using any old key?)

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No 97 and 98 expeditions have Pats I 99-02 Have Pats II. The Pats I is pretty dumb and as long as you have at least one working key and can read the owners manual that came with the truck, and programming your new keys. Pats II is a bit smarter, you need 2 working keys to program yourself.

The Pats I system can be bypassed with out using a transponder/ring/bean w/e you just have to know how to do it. That would be the only reason those new keys work.

markosmail

Reaction score
I have a 98 expedition... my keys were stolen, I moded my doorkey and got a chip but it won't program because pats has disabled the system, the dealer quoted me between 500-800 dollars with no guarantee! Locksmith 475 same deal. It is Pats a .. All 98 expeditions are Pats A ( some other ford models did the mid year switch but exped's didn't. How can I bypass this without a key? can I hot wire the pcm relay and some other part?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahurry