Performance Mass Air Flow Sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does a "Performance" MAF really make a difference or is it a waste of money I was looking at the Jet performance and the Summit Racing ones and I'm just curious as to is it really makes a difference. Thanks guys!

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not a performance item Persia. However you do need to upgrade as your air & fueling needs increase.

IE: you install larger fuel injectors,hot air intake,custom tune etc. most MAF sensors have a heated Element "resistor" that measures the difference in air temp.

Just to buy it with out needing it would be a waste IMO.

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So would it be worth it if I only have a cai installed? I am planning on getting one soon.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TactialMonkey

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a K&N 77 series intake and summit racing ignition coils and a crank breather with some e3.53 spark plugs and I'm going to get a new MAF and an throttle body spacer and probably a new thermostat so my truck will run cooler

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I agree with nonwoven.

A mass air meter is a waste unless you need it for tuning purposes. IE you max out your stock meter and need more range.

What they are trying to sell you is a "larger" mass air meter with the theory bigger is better that most tend to buy into. Much experience over the years via racing, testing and tuning I disagree with this.... its how everything works together as a system.

When you flow significantly more volume of air than stock (combo heads, intake, cams or power adder) is when you need to consider an aftermarket meter along with injectors and a tune.

Last edited:

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a K&N 77 series intake and summit racing ignition coils and a crank breather with some e3.53 spark plugs and I'm going to get a new MAF and an throttle body spacer and probably a new thermostat so my truck will run cooler

If you do buy a new maf you will 100% need a retune. The ECM will freak. Run rich,lean and or set a SES/CEL DTC! There is no way around this dude.

Replacing coils is a good proactive PM plan.

The crank breather umm?? I'm not so sure you want to do this man. If you do not intend to use the pcv system at all , then your a okay. On the other hand if you do use it , your short changing yourself.

IMHO TB spacers were and have always been a Farce!!! Kind of like the E superchargers, turbonators.

There is a useful application in TBI & Carberted engines. They help increase volume and have some minimal heat reduction effect.

The thermostats function is to open at a preset temp. This is done with diffrent coil/spring lengths/diameters. It will open sooner or later depending on the tstat you use. It opens up the cooling/circulation in the engine to the radiator.

It's not going to do much in the way of helping with heat rejection unless you have a larger radiator.

IMO if you don't want to use power adders the best bang for your buck are,

75mm or larger throttle body.

Port match the throttle body Plenum/elbow to the throttle body. Then polish it to a high luster.

A true cold air intake. Some where other then in the engine bay. Bumper fender area etc.

Ditch your cats altogether, use a true free flow muffler. Any type with a true straight threw design and no chambers or crappy baffles.

Long tube full length headers. Short tube if you don't want to hassle or afford the cost of them.

Last but not least a custom tune. Not one of those cookie cutter tunes out of the box.

With all the above I wouldn't be surprised if you gained up to 40bhp/ lbs tq give or take.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you do buy a new maf you will 100% need a retune. The ECM will freak. Run rich,lean and or set a SES/CEL DTC! There is no way around this dude.

They do sell "stock replacement" after market meters that are OE exempt. Your statement is of course true if you get a recalibrated aftermarket meter.

Replacing coils is a good proactive PM plan.

The crank breather umm?? I'm not so sure you want to do this man. If you do not intend to use the pcv system at all , then your a okay. On the other hand if you do use it , your short changing yourself.

Didn't even catch this reading it the first time. Yep.... with a breather your introducing a vacuum leak. Removing the pcv valve will eliminate pulling fresh air through the motor and the block/oil can get contaminated quickly.

IMHO TB spacers were and have always been a Farce!!! Kind of like the E superchargers, turbonators.

Agree 100%

There is a useful application in TBI & Carberted engines. They help increase volume and have some minimal heat reduction effect.

The thermostats function is to open at a preset temp. This is done with diffrent coil/spring lengths/diameters. It will open sooner or later depending on the tstat you use. It opens up the cooling/circulation in the engine to the radiator.

It's not going to do much in the way of helping with heat rejection unless you have a larger radiator.

IMO if you don't want to use power adders the best bang for your buck are,

75mm or larger throttle body.

Port match the throttle body Plenum/elbow to the throttle body. Then polish it to a high luster.

A true cold air intake. Some where other then in the engine bay. Bumper fender area etc.

Ditch your cats altogether, use a true free flow muffler. Any type with a true straight threw design and no chambers or crappy baffles.

Long tube full length headers. Short tube if you don't want to hassle or afford the cost of them.

Last but not least a custom tune. Not one of those cookie cutter tunes out of the box.

With all the above I wouldn't be surprised if you gained up to 40bhp/ lbs tq give or take.

Think that is a bit optimistic but much better mods.

Last edited:

nonwoven29

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True Tom. I was being a little optimistic. I was thinking in the tune advance the crap out of the timing using 91. Octane.

Thinking he was close to sea level being in WA.

Never thought about a stock MAF replacment.

boobie33

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Much learned

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk