Planning on replacing the torque converter on my 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
My wife's 07 Expy 2wd has had the lockup shudder return after a hiatus. Did all new COP's and plugs after a trans pan drop with fluid change and Shudder Fix additive which did an amazing job of killing the shudder, but as expected it's back.
I now plan on just scooting the trans back from the engine far enough to R&R the converter in my own garage.
I've fully rebuilt transmissions, engines, diffs, etc (Mopar stuff, specifically), but that was back in the carb and no computer era. Anyone have any experience and can clue me in on what pitfalls to look out for?

I have a trans jack and know to support the rear of the engine when/if the trans x member comes out. I know to fill the new converter before install and to not allow the weight of the trans/engine rest on the snout of the converter and to replace the input seal...what Ford or Expy specific stuff am I looking at?

I see on Rock Auto an aftermarket converter can be mine for $242 including the core charge...sounds good on the wallet.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't done a converter on these yet, but I'm curious as to why you're just going to pull the trans back just far enough. At that point everything will be out of the way. Why not drop it down so it's easier to work on?

OP
OP
W

Wile E Coyote

Reaction score
Because there's not much to be done, 90% of the work is in making room to remove and replace the converter and front pump seal which can be done under the truck. I posted this from work, and in my mind's eye, the exhaust or sway bar, etc may be in the way. If that's not the case, then yes, I'll lower the trans jack and make it easier to drive the new seal in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik