Plastic in rear cargo area warm/hot to touch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlawson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used 2011 Limited with 55K miles. After returning home this weekend from an hour and a half drive, my wife and I were taking our things out of the rear cargo area. While doing so, I noticed that the passenger side plastic (Below the window, but above the carpet) was warm (almost hot) to the touch. Is there anything behind the plastic that would make this happen? Rear air motor or anything of the like? I tried to search, but to no avail. Just trying to find a simple answer to figure out if this is something I need to look into repairing.

Thanks in advance,

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is where the rear a/c handler is stored. Blower, Heater core, air return, etc. I would suspect that it is normal.

Last edited:

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your rear climate control set to the hot side? Even if it's off but set to hot the coolant still flows through the rear heater core and could possibly warm up the plastic panel, just a thought.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No matter what the setting is cold or hot or anywhere in-between the coolant flows when the engine is running.

northernexp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No matter what the setting is cold or hot or anywhere in-between the coolant flows when the engine is running.
I assumed the rear heater core didn't get coolant until the temp setting was set to hot. So you're saying when the ac is on the heater cores are getting fed with hot coolant also?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct Have you ever flushed your heater cores? And if you have, did you have to close or open any valve in the lines.

The heat is controlled by the position of the blend doors

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied from the 2001 service manual for the Auxiliary A/C and heating system

The auxiliary A/C and heating system has the following features:

The auxiliary A/C and heating system is functioning whenever the instrument panel mounted A/C control is in any position except OFF.
The auxiliary blower motor recirculates the air inside the vehicle. Outside air is not available to the auxiliary system.
Air is cooled and dehumidified by the auxiliary A/C evaporator core only if the instrument panel mounted A/C control is adjusted to a position that requires A/C compressor operation.
The temperature blend door and the A/C damper door are controlled by electric actuator motors.
Movement of the auxiliary temperature control between COOL and WARM causes a corresponding movement of the temperature blend door to mix air flowing through and around the auxiliary heater core.
Movement of the auxiliary mode control between PANEL and FLOOR causes a corresponding movement of the A/C damper door to direct air flow between the panel (headliner) registers and the floor duct.

The wording is also the same in the 2010 service manual

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition