Popping noise when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright guys, I may just be thinking way too hard about this, but I just finished installing new pads on my 2000 EB, and I now have a weird popping noise coming from the front end when I hit the brakes. It doesn't do it every time, usually when I just change direction, forward or reverse. Any ideas? Pads are new, rotors are newer and clean, New caliper bolts both sides.

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are the caliper bolts tight? is the pad seated correctly? did you tighten all your lugs? very important things to check. Other then that, I would not have a clue what that would be, although I know what you are talking about in a sense because I have experienced that same strange noise before on a buick, the caliper was finger tightened... Doh!!

OP
OP
ssbroly

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll double check it all, but man, I'm sure I did tighten everything back up 100%.

OP
OP
ssbroly

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Caliper and pads are all good, thinking upper balljoint on the passenger side. I stood on the passenger side running board and rocked the truck, heard it pop once. Climbed under and looked at the suspension, nothing looks worn out.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hard to tell but i have the same thing in my 98. pretty sure its a suspension component....mystery which one because my whole front end is worn out. mechanic said it would cost me $750 to redo my front end suspension

OP
OP
ssbroly

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, shoot me in the face. Caliper MOUNTING BRACKET bolt wasn't tightened all the way. Man.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah, yea, the same thing happened to me as well. I'd hear it popping, but just figured it was the pads or the rattle springs. Took a trip, and on the way back, I started hearing this grinding sound everytime I touched the brakes. Got off the toll road, and pulled into an Autozone. Looked underneath, and see my left caliper being held by one bolt. The other bolt had backed out, and was just dangling there (lucky for me it didn't fall out). Bought some lock tite, and retightened both of them.

Popping sounds stopped from that day on :eek:

OP
OP
ssbroly

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I did. I only used loctite on the loose one, but man I was goin nuts trying to find the noise. Every time you fix something, something else breaks.