Possible electrical problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peak11

Reaction score
I was driving my 03 XP today and the fuel gauge went to below Empty and the digital miles to empty went to -----. I know I had a full tank since I filled it yesterday. This condition lasted for about 5 minutes and then the fuel quanitity guage went back to Full and the digital readout came back to 330 miles to empty.

Anyone ever heard or seen this?

thanks,
John

cahess

Reaction score
I know this post is old, but I also have an 03 Expy. My gas gauge has done this same thing, about 3 or 4 times in the past, including yesterday. It usually happens within 1 day of a fill-up. I am curious if you had any more information about yours? Did you take it in for warranty at the time? Just yesterday when mine did this, it took the whole day to come back. It slowly rose from nothing, to about 1/4 and then so on. My guess is it didn't update as quickly because the vehicle was running as it updated verses the previous times that I have turned the truck off and then upon re-starting it would show a full tank.

Last edited:

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd make a guess that the fuel sender line is grounding or breaking somewhere. If the computer doesn't get a signal from the fuel sender it can't estimate how many miles you can go because it doesn't know how much gas is left.

On the 03s, is the DTE readout in the instrument cluster or overhead like the first gen expys? If its in the dash then I'd check the feed from the dash back. If they're seperated then I'd check from the sender.

Last edited: