Power Tailgate issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
So it started 2 years ago when my brother didn't know what a power tailgate was- ****** and pulled it open and then slammed it shut. Since that weekend, when opening it every time it would get to its max height it would jerk violently. Closing would be fine. Didn't bother investigating because it still worked.

Recently- and for the first time ever at appx 260K miles it wouldn't start. Wouldn't click over at all, and power seemed low. So I took the Freestar & got a new battery and swapped it out. Nope. Wasn't it- it was the starter. Investigated, it was -15 wind chill out and way to tough to work on. Towed to Ford, $400 later I got her back. However now the tailgate wont work at all. It will manually open and close but sweet jesus I used that thing all the time and given what I do- it is really convenient having the power option. When I'd get a call, I used to be able to push the button from my bed and know that it would be up by the time I ran out to it to throw in my gear for a call I could toss and go (I'm a fireman and we cant keep gear in our vehicles unattended).

And NO- for the funny ones, it is not turned off...

I read somewhere about a re-learn mode that it can go into or something, and can find it anywhere now. Something along the lines of disconnecting the battery, then reconnecting then pushing a button- unless I did it wrong, it didn't work. HELP PLEASE... I'm not ready for a new one (financially) and can't rationalize spending a ton of money on something that wont ultimately keep some value on it (like running)...

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ITS ALWAYS NICE TO KNOW WHAT YEAR EXPY YOU HAVE WHEN DEALING WITH ELECTICAL PROBLEMS

The following is information on the 09 expy Power Liftgate Initialization and was copied from the 2009 Ford Service Manual Hope it helps

Power Liftgate Initialization
NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:

A low voltage or dead battery
A disconnected battery
Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.

NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.

1. Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).

2. Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).

3. If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.

4. NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.

NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the Symptom Chart to diagnose the inoperative power liftgate.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

5. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.