Premium Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scoobydooruby

Reaction score
I have a 2003 XLT FX4 expedition with Premium Sound. I would like to know what information is out there on the system that tells me what is all a part of this system. Like is there a separate amp from the main 6 disk in dash player and where it is located. As I would like to add a sub to beef up the sound a little. Not that what I have sounds bad, because the current stock radio and speakers actually sound pretty good. But I would like to add an AMP and one 12" sub without cutting wires. Unless if there is an amp internal as part of the stock with pre amp outputs to go to another amp. That is what I would like to find out. Can anyone help me out to understand what would need to be done.

leroystokes

Reaction score
If your Expo has a factory sub it would be mounted in the rear on the left side of the vehicle and you would be able to see the so called speaker grille. If it does have this and you want to add an aftermarket sub if you remove the tray that is on that same side above the factory subwoofer you will see a metal box with some white wires with a connector on the end plugged into the sub, that is where you will have to splice into it and add a in line adaper for the RCA cables tha will run to your aftermarket amp. If it does not have a factory sub installed then you can splice into any of the speaker wires with the same inline unit and connect the RCA cable the same way. Hope this helps. Good luck. It is easy to do once you find out which route you will have to take.

sergkoko

Reaction score
Just did it on my 97

I just used the two wires that go to the woofer amp, the "orange and brown" and the "red and black" adn wired the RCA adapter into it then ran the amp remote wire behind the deck into the purple and black i think. This was done on the Eddie with the mach system. and yes the stock deck sends the signal to teh amp that sends the saoundto the speakers. Its a pain in the butt to install an after market deck as well. Hope this helps. (=

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT