Pretty new Expedition owner in NC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drujones

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am new, not the expedition. I bought a 1997 4.6 4x4 white expedition with 163K last September for 800 bucks. It had a hole the size of my fist in the engine block. I found this thing sitting in a driveway in a small town halfway into the mountains from where I live (Race City, USA). I towed it back on a dolly and ordered a brand new engine with 3 yr/100000 mile warranty and had it installed. I use it to haul my 7 year old, 4 year old, and the pontoon boat. 4x4 was a help with crazy amount of snow this winter.

I have had the 4 wheel shift motor go out due to moisture damaged GEM module. (Replaced today) as well as the delaminated windshield. Now I am going to address the disturbingly loud clunking noise when I make a hard left, which I understand to be either a lower control arm camber bolt moving around or a bad hub or bushings.

I took off the cracked running boards and have a set of chrome tube runners ready to put on and I installed a chrome bull bar.

I came from a Toyota 4runner 4 cyl. to this, so I enjoy the power. My EX had a Chevy Blazer (totalled) and a Toyota Sequoia (totalled) and then our Suburban (totalled). Drugs. Go figure.

Now it's just me and the kids, our Expedition, '95 Jeep Wrangler, and the pontoon boat.

I am into the Expy for under 6000 at this point. I feel pretty good about that one, just hope there aren't anymore surprises (ie: windshield/GEM module)

OP
OP
D

drujones

Reaction score
I will be sure to post some pictures when I get it from the shop. I am enjoying the wealth of information available here.

OP
OP
D

drujones

Reaction score
IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4266.jpg

Found these from when I first bought it in September. I have removed the running boards, ready for chrome tubes and added a chrome tube bull bar. The only thing I really don't like is the style of the rims. I wish it was easier to find mag/spoke rims that fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drujones

Reaction score
Just back from the shop and, of course, the clunking sound from the right front was non existant to the mechanic. But, for 90.00 had the GEM module installed and am fully functional in the 4x4. Going back in the morning to have Flowmaster exhaust installed.

OP
OP
D

drujones

Reaction score
I am just going to say this, Flowmaster makes it go from grocery getter to TRUCK. I'm happier with this truck now more than I have been in a long time.