Probably asked a million times, anyone do a true dual setup for Expos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Blown proves it wrong but 04-06 was redesigned underneath. The spare tire and suspension was realigned. Every 2nd gen I've seen and the shops I went to say they've only been successful with 03's. I've only seen them on 03's...unless we remove the spare it not enough room

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bh. blown expy has an 04 expy. like he said he went to smaller pipe after muffler. thats how he was able to fit it.
blown thanks for the photos. as far the research and info that i have found said no dual without losing spare. but you showed it can be done even though with smaller pipes. but your photo looks like a DI/DO muffler not 2 seperate ones. am i correct?

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Removing the spare would not be a huge deal to me if I had to. I carry a plug kit and 12v air pump in the truck anyway and I would rather plug the tire on the truck than use the spare. But since I have an 03 I might not have to I guess... I will not neck down after the muffler either, needs to be 2.5" all the way out.

Anyone possibly able to answer my question on the headers?

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do believe carid had some ceramic gibson headers on there site for like $550 depending on motor .... there's hella headers out there for the 4.6l but not so many for the 5.4l that will fit our application cuz once again there's no room especially on the right side the starter is in the way. Problem with duals is all the a/c crap is in the way on the right and fuel tank in the way on the left and the IRS is the biggest problem. Other that that your good lol.

Sent from space using taptalk

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still can't see IRS being that huge of a problem since the 99-04 Cobras had it and there are a ton of true dual catbacks for that app...

I suppose I would be good with a Y pipe provided the single pipe is large enough to provide the same flow as a true dual. Probably 3.5" from the Y all the way out would do it. I'll keep hunting around for headers... still gotta take care of all the little stupid things on this since I just got it last week. U joints are next as I continue to hunt down a driveline noise between 20-30 mph under light throttle...

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont know where you live but in Chicago there is a good shop called Iggys Muffler, they do badass custom work, they did the true duals on my dads 97 expedition and in a few weeks they will be installing duals on my 2002 expedition great work and their tips do not rust at all.

OP
OP
S

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Duals are much easier to run on the 1st gen vehicles. Just up over the axle and out. I have a crazy muffler shop near here that I will call up and see how many expos the've done with the IRS, if any.

boiler71

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bh. blown expy has an 04 expy. like he said he went to smaller pipe after muffler. thats how he was able to fit it.
blown thanks for the photos. as far the research and info that i have found said no dual without losing spare. but you showed it can be done even though with smaller pipes. but your photo looks like a DI/DO muffler not 2 seperate ones. am i correct?

I did use the DI/DO muffler simply because I didn't want to add a separate X-pipe. Although my muffler guy said a DI/SO muffler with 3" out would do the same thing, I'm just not sure I believe him. Having the DO should eliminate the traffic jam of exhaust.

I'm definitely no exhaust expert though.

K9trainer1

Reaction score
wow didn't realize duals was such a big deal. I had custom duals put in with a crossover muffler. Pipes exit out the back. Looks great sounds great and I have an 11 with IRS. Be happy to answer questions that anyone has. The shop I used did not have a problem with the build.