Programmer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueoval76

Reaction score
Ok so I did some searching on the Edge and it looks like a fun toy and I see you dont have to leave it plugged in for it to keep the tune. My truck seems like it has been tuned already since it shifts great with the 260K on it and I was told the trans has only been serviced a bunch of times but never rebuilt. So is there any way to tell if it has been tuned already?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Ok so I did some searching on the Edge and it looks like a fun toy and I see you dont have to leave it plugged in for it to keep the tune. My truck seems like it has been tuned already since it shifts great with the 260K on it and I was told the trans has only been serviced a bunch of times but never rebuilt. So is there any way to tell if it has been tuned already?

Based on my experience with my SCT and programming software, I would say no you could not tell. Not without downloading ecu programming and comparing with a known "stock tune". You could only speculate.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could have a shift kit installed and the only way to tell is to tear into the tranny.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
BlueOval...I have only had the Edge, but my personal feeling is that I would pay the money over again and have recovered my expense is fuel savings and having performance as well. The only thing I think I may have done different is gone with the CTS as the CS...main reason for the bigger screen...I like the CS because I can monitor 8 gauges at once...and you can change those at anytime to view other parameters of the engine...the other feature is Edge updates their software and you get free downloads so you always have the newest software upgrades in improvements....my 2 cents...

OP
OP
B

Blueoval76

Reaction score
Ok so I am thinking about getting an Edge CS and I am wondering how they work. If I buy a used one does it just work on my truck or is it a one time/vehicle use only and I will be getting ripped?

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
It work one vehicle at a time unless you have the EDGE CTS and order it with the ability to program two vehicles...if your buying one used you need to make sure the previous owner loaded his stock program into his vehicle...or yes you will get screwed...its it a local purchase or online...you may also want to call Edge and find out what if anything it will cost to get e-mailed new updates...I just got one from them and it was free because I purchased the unit new...hope this helps..

P.s. I see you have a Gran Torino...I had a 1972 Sport fastback with a 351 CJ and factory 4 speed Hurst..it was red with the reflective stripe...it was cool...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blueoval76

Reaction score
New Question

Ok time to bump this up with a new question. I am picking up a Superchips 1715 Max micro tuner tomorrow for real cheap! I talked to the wife and explained that he has to have put the stock tune back in the truck in order for the tuner to work again. She said I think he did that but let me check. She then came back and said yes he put the stock tune back and they would refund my money if it didnt work. Is there any way to know on the spot if its got the tune in it or is still in his truck?

Edit: I just read the manual and answered my question however I will leave this for information. It states that if I plug it in it will tell me that it is VIN locked if the guy did not put the stock tune back on his vehicle.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From some quick looking around on f150online, around $150 shipped.